Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: fear of feces contamination  (Read 233 times)

Offline Arthur_800

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
fear of feces contamination
« on: February 15, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »
some weeks ago, I was playing my guitar while sitting on the border of my bed, facing towards my bathroom. At some moment, my mom came into my room carrying a trash can full of bathroom waste, so she would collect more trash. However, as she passed in front of me, the guitar neck was facing the trash can my mom carried, and I, by reflex, turned the guitar neck away from that position and continued playing. Thing is, obsession kicked in after a short time: I became worried with the the idea of  the guitar's headstock touching the dirty paper inside the trash can and being contaminated with microbes and tapeworm eggs( which I fear the most, because Im so scared of neurocysticercosis and losing intelligence, personality and everything). Because of this situation, I have not been able to touch the guitar and play it anymore, because I judge it as contaminated. On the other hand, some part me doesn't believe it could have touched the contaminated material, because the trash can was moving, and would have felt it as it collided with the guitar, right? Should I control the urge to clean it?

Bookmark and Share

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: fear of feces contamination
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:56:35 PM »
I used to have thoughts like this.  Yes you should control the impulse to clean your guitar.  And if thoughts like this have been going on for awhile or if they start getting more frequent you may have obsessive compulsive disorder.  If these types of thoughts take up a significant amount of time and cause you distress I'd suggest getting treatment.  If you do have OCD regular talk therapy doesn't really work.  What are the standard treatments are a type of  cognitive behavior therapy called exposure therapy and/or medication often SSRI antidepressants.  If you are in distress I hope you'll get help and not suffer.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline Arthur_800

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: fear of feces contamination
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »
Thing is, there is a REAL chance my guitar could have touched the trash can without myself feeling it, and I doesnt know how to clean it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: