Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Celiac Disease  (Read 372 times)

Offline Monty

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Celiac Disease
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:48:03 PM »
Hi everyone! I've been having bowel issues for some months now and I believe I have Celiac's Disease.  My mother was just diagnosed about a month ago and my sister just a couple weeks ago.  I hear it's extremely hereditary.  I had a blood test done for it which came back negative but I've been informed by my mothers doctor that sometimes blood tests aren't accurate.  I started the gluten free diet about a month ago then reintroduced gluten into my diet about a week later and had a painful reaction to it.  I also took an Advil (which apparently has gluten in it) another week later and had the same reaction.  So thus I probably have Celiacs.  My question is is it normal to have good and bad days even though I'm for the most part being strict about staying on a gluten free diet?  When I started I was actually feeling better than before.  I have some discomfort in my stomach from time to time but I hear it takes time to get the gluten out of your system.  But the last couple days I've been aweful tired and have been getting headaches.  Is this normal?  Like I said before, I'm only about a month into my gluten free diet with the two slip ups I mentioned earlier.  Any comments would be much appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NJMom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Celiac Disease
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:29:33 AM »
I was never diagnosed with Celiac because on my endoscopy no biopsy was done.  I went GF on my own, and now I won't eat it again to get a proper test.  I felt awful on and off for the first year I went GF.  My son had the same experience.  And we did it in different years, so it wasn't what it was eating.  1) If you stopped gluten, went back on and had a bad reaction, you most likely have celiac or gluten intolerance.  If you also have two first degree relatives who are diagnosed, it's almost a no brainer.  2) There is gluten everywhere, so the on/off good/bad feeling is adjustment.  Soy sauce, chap stick...it's everywhere.  You will learn.  3) My original symptoms started to dissipate 2 weeks after stopping gluten.  They slowly faded away as time went on.  I think I've heard nine months for it to leave the system.  4) Silly things will cause you problems.  My dishwasher rinse cycle was broken - that one caused an early colonoscopy for me because it caused such pain for 4 months that my doc got concerned.  I was getting glutened every day.  5) Which bring me to the point that if you can get everyone in your house to be GF you will be much more successful and feel better.   6) There is no "for the most part GF" for me.  As an example, I ate out and ordered a GF dessert.  The waitress was busy flirting with a friend, and didn't write down that the cake was supposed to be GF - they have the same cake in a regular version.  I ate three bites and had a migrane and threw up for 24 hours. 

Good luck - I'm sure you will start to feel better soon!  And once you get used to the diet it's no big deal at all!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Monty

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
Thank you for responding. I've been feeling a little better lately. Still have aches and pains at times.  My family has been good about gluten free meals in our home.  Still getting used to it but it's working.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ElleC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:36:20 AM »
Depending on the level of damage due to Celiac's it can sometimes take quite a while for the small intestine to heal. That being said, you will need to have a 100% perfect gluten free diet. Any amount of gluten, however small could cause you problems.

Also, I've heard some people have temporary lactose intolerance. (the body is over reactive to lactose, and after a few months or sometimes less, this reaction can go away). I would suggest doing your research/ talk to your doctor about also eliminating lactose and seeing if this helps bring you relief.

Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scye27

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:37:18 PM »
One thing that people didn't mention to me when I went gluten free three years ago is that you need to make sure you get enough nutrients. Many gluten free versions of things don't have enough nutrients in them, so a supplement my have to be used. Magnesium, D, zinc, and calcium are good to take with the multi. Once I went GF, it did take a while to get back to feeling normal. Once you've eaten this way for a while, you'll notice that gluten containing foods just seem weird and gross to you. At least that's how I feel.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: