Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Brain tumor or meningitis worry  (Read 386 times)

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Brain tumor or meningitis worry
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »
For the past 3 days I have had a minor to moderate headache.  Along with that I have had some neck pain too.  The headache is mainly on both the left and right side of my head and wraps around from top to bottom and not side to side if that makes sense.  Anyway it actually started when out of nowhere I was at work when suddenly I had a minor headache that started suddenly.  It wasn't a major thunderclap headache, but it threw me off guard but it has been here ever since and I took Advil Migraine for it and the pain remains.

My neck pain also makes me worried about meningitis.  I'm able to touch my chin to my chest but my head still hurts on both sides.  I worry that it's a brain tumor because of the headsets I use at work, and I worry it's meningitis because of the interactions I have with numerous people at my work.  I also have felt a little tired lately in spurts.  I'm almost certain I have one of the two.   :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain tumor or meningitis worry
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:17:25 PM »
A brain tumor is a LONG shot.   People get headaches all the time and they can last for days.  You probably did something to your neck which is causing the headaches - it's all connected.  You'd have a pretty high fever with meningitis.
Bookmark and Share

Online Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:21:05 PM »
You'd have high fever, stiff neck, nausea with meningitis. (Don't develop them now with anxiety  :P)

You probably did something to your neck which is causing the headaches - it's all connected.

No one here can tell you it's not brain tumor 100%, but it's very, very unlikely. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happenstance

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:46:44 AM »
A close family friend of ours has a brain tumor (with metastasis to brain, lung and liver) she has excruciating headaches for a long time, plus problems with her eyesight.

With meningitis you would simply be bedbound, VERY sick indeed, you would have a rash on your skin which when a glass is pressed on it, will not vanish, you would NOT be able to touch your chin onto your neck, you would have a RAGING fever.

If you are worried my advice it to always see a doctor, my guess (this is not medical advice, for that you need to see the doctor) is you have pulled or strained a muscle in the area which is also causing tension headaches, or the two symptoms may not be related at all, the headaches could be from stress or a simple virus such as a cold or one of these other funny winter viruses, and the neck pain from pulled muscle.

If you see your doctor chances are they will 'watch and wait' for about two weeks before sending you for tests.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mydogisnamedslippy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »
A few weeks ago I had a major head ache that just would not quit--and the worst neck ache as well. It also spread into my shoulders. It sucked. But when I was able to relax my muscles it want away...total tension headache.

I would say, before you seriously freak out, take a warm bath, or get a massage or something. It might help a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 96
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 12:31:28 PM »
Most neck and head pain are related—as headaches can come from strain of the neck muscles. And maybe your headset at work is contributing to your headaches because it's too tight. That seems a much more likely cause than the idea that it's causing a brain tumor.

I had a friend in college who had meningitis and almost did not survive. She was EXTREMELY sick.

Not to get all lecture-y, but remember:  anxiety is by and large a mental disorder, and every time you interpret these bodily symptoms as being deadly or the harbingers of major disease, you're only keeping yourself locked in a cycle of fear/symptom/fear. In order for anxiety to be overcome, we MUST begin to interpret our symptoms and bodily "noise" as benign, and a NATURAL result of our overactive stress hormones. Reacting in a frightened manner will just prolong the agony.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 01:18:52 PM »
I just worry because the headaches come and go.  And I am no stranger to headaches...and these ones feel somewhat similar to the ones that I was experiencing before.  I had another short sharp pain on the right side of my head again a few days ago like I was experiencing about a month ago if anyone remember me posting about these headaches.

I also noticed that my lower right eyelid has been twitching a lot sporadically.  The headaches as I said aren't unbearable but I worry that they will get worse.  As for the neck pain, it is still there, but I have had this same type of neck pain for as long as I can remember and it comes and goes.  One time that seem to find relief is when I take a hot shower.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »
I also want to mention that for the longest time I have had a weird feeling in my lower right leg.  It doesn't go numb, but it almost feels weaker.  I press on it and I can feel it just as well as my left leg.  This has come and gone along with the headaches for awhile now.  I was a little better today regarding the headaches.  It was coming and going but I didn't have to take any Advil.  I am just really concerned...I am worried about having a brain tumor.

I'll hear some stories about people who use a cell phone frequently and get a brain tumor, or a bluetooth/wireless headset frequently and get a brain tumor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
My dad had both meningitis and a brain tumor 15 years apart (but yet he doesn't have HA! and is totally fine now). With the meningitis he had a headache and neck pain that just kept escalating and escalating, the worst pain of his life. When they did the spinal tap it didn't even compare to the pain in his head. With the brain tumor he KNEW it. I won't tell you the symptoms, but you don't have them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 07:15:10 PM »
I'm glad that your dad is okay Amy.    :action-smiley-065:

And I'm sitting in my room typing this and the back of my head hurts along with my spine and stops probably around perpendicular to my shoulders.  I took a hot shower and the pain was gone for that moment.  Is that a good sign?

Anyway, it almost seems that the pain in my neck is a little more painful than the pain in my head.  But, I don't have a fever and I'm not lethargic.  I talked to my parents and they said that my anxiety was causing this...of course I find that hard to believe.  I want to go to the doctors about this but I am positive that they will look at me and say that it's nothing but my anxiety and won't order a test of any kind to make sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
Well I am still scared about a brain tumor or even a brain aneurysm now.  I again had a short but sharp pain on the top left side of my head this morning with lingering pain.  I have had this pain ever since July of 2013 on and off.  The short sharp pains in my head, normally on the right side, but occasionally on the left like this morning.  I am freaking out.  My neck pain has diminished somewhat, and the actual headaches aren't really present anymore.  But, this on and off sharp pain worries me profoundly.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: