Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hello :)  (Read 162 times)

Offline Alexac11

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello :)
« on: February 15, 2014, 08:01:48 AM »
Hi everyone :)

I've been living with severe health anxiety for the past few years and have been  struggling to keep it under control. It's finally come to a point where I have to recognise it and seek help!

I look forward to sharing with everyone and meeting people who understand!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello :)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:33:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline PinkIcePrincess

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »
Hi Alexac11,
 Welcome to the site and you will see a lot of people with the same issue so Please know you aren't alone .

I am very happy to read you now recognize it and seeking help that is a Huge step and a good one !! I know you will defeat the negative scary thinking and realize most everything we worry about never happens or is not what we think.
 Changing the negative thoughts into positive thoughts and learning coping skills are the best things to learn to do.

Anxiety and Panic cause us to have many body symptoms then we feel really scared because of those symptoms and there are 100's of symptoms which are all usually related to Anxiety and other mental health issues.. Anxiety is very treatable as is Hypochondria or Health Anxiety.

Everyone does need a Family Doctor to talk to and get check ups also a Therapist if struggling and can not control the thoughts .. also a balanced diet and exercise.. ( I need to follow som of my own advice lol) shh don't tell anyone..  :yes:

The Chatroom is always available if you are 18 years old.. come join in and you will see what everyone deals with and maybe get some help and help some others.. also keep a journal when a bad thought comes write it down and replace it with a good thought or a funny one.

Best of Luck and Beat those thoughts!
PinkIcePrincess
Ramona
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexac11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »
Thank you for the lovely welcome guys :D

I've been dealing with severe health anxiety since I was 20 and my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Everyone said 'oh it's very unusual to have this type at your age' and it was almost a realisation that sometimes, people you love are the exception to a norm. And now, 6 years later, it's finally reached a point that I can't continue with it anymore. It's ruining everything and my young, healthy years are whizzing past from one worry to the next. I keep thinking that in 20 years time, if I am diagnosed with a serious illness, I'll look back and wish I hadn't spent so much time worrying. So it's time to try to get a grip of it with the help of a doctor and having somewhere to talk to people who understand :D
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:32:02 PM »
What type of doctor are you seeing?

You're perfectly normal. we all experience emotion, and there's nothing wrong with being concerned.

You've came to the right place, just as Princess said. (:
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Alexac11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »
Thank you :)

I'm not seeing anyone yet but plan on going to my GP in the next few weeks and just really explain everything. I think from there I'll probably be referred to a counsellor. I just feel like I need someone to help me put everything into perspective and to try to control the irrational thoughts when they start.

I'm looking forward to tackling this now. I feel like I'm doing something proactive, rather than letting the fears control me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rachel_k

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »
You are not alone and there are people who have experienced this. I joined here today as a recovering anxiety sufferer. It was that bad that this time 2 years ago, I was convinced something was very wrong with me physically. A ct scan, endless blood tests, visit to the neorologist, gastoscrophy, endoscopy and sidmoidosopy camera procedures, endless diets, visit to a gastrorentologist and visits to the the gp every week and they could only find mild irritation to my stomache and bowels. I was diagnosed with tension headaches ans IBS-D.
What was causing my issues now was clearly triggered by anxiety. I lost weight, withdrew and before I knew it..... Full blown anxiety.... I was terrified of leaving the house, my days were filled with negativity.... 6 months later- a girl in my work contacted me to ask about the camera procedures- she had been referred for them as a precaution-..... she was diagnosed with colon cancer.... Really put things into perspective... Anyway I finally recognised 'anxiety' and sought help, I went to see a therapist. I went fortnightly for about 3 months. It helped talking to someone who didnt try to pretend they understand, Someone who made me confront my fears with them having no emotional attachment to me. Then I decided it was time I took charge of my own recovery. And thats what I did. Although I have some social anxiety and panic when confronted with something out of my routine. I would say I am 1000x better than 2 years ago. What I find really helpful when anxiety starts is either 1) breathing techniques or 2) if you can listen to a relaxation tape.... You can get short break ones. I would listen to one each night when in bed, helped me get to sleep when I was anxious. I am confident that like me, you will find your way to recovery. You have taken the first step and admitted you have anxiety, thats the biggest and most important step....i wish you lots of luck in your recovery.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexac11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:28:54 AM »
You are not alone and there are people who have experienced this. I joined here today as a recovering anxiety sufferer. It was that bad that this time 2 years ago, I was convinced something was very wrong with me physically. A ct scan, endless blood tests, visit to the neorologist, gastoscrophy, endoscopy and sidmoidosopy camera procedures, endless diets, visit to a gastrorentologist and visits to the the gp every week and they could only find mild irritation to my stomache and bowels. I was diagnosed with tension headaches ans IBS-D.
What was causing my issues now was clearly triggered by anxiety. I lost weight, withdrew and before I knew it..... Full blown anxiety.... I was terrified of leaving the house, my days were filled with negativity.... 6 months later- a girl in my work contacted me to ask about the camera procedures- she had been referred for them as a precaution-..... she was diagnosed with colon cancer.... Really put things into perspective... Anyway I finally recognised 'anxiety' and sought help, I went to see a therapist. I went fortnightly for about 3 months. It helped talking to someone who didnt try to pretend they understand, Someone who made me confront my fears with them having no emotional attachment to me. Then I decided it was time I took charge of my own recovery. And thats what I did. Although I have some social anxiety and panic when confronted with something out of my routine. I would say I am 1000x better than 2 years ago. What I find really helpful when anxiety starts is either 1) breathing techniques or 2) if you can listen to a relaxation tape.... You can get short break ones. I would listen to one each night when in bed, helped me get to sleep when I was anxious. I am confident that like me, you will find your way to recovery. You have taken the first step and admitted you have anxiety, thats the biggest and most important step....i wish you lots of luck in your recovery.

Thank you so much :)

You've given me a bit of hope that I'll get there eventually. I know it'll be a long road but opening up about it rather than letting it fester inside has already made me feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I look forward to the day that I can control it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rachel_k

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
Just remember it wont happen over night. But it can be beaten..... Different things help different people. For me relaxation/ hypnotherapy tapes helped loads, you can get ones which are for stress/anxiety, ones that have breathing exercises...Things that trigger your anxiety- try and face them, even if its 10 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute. Slowly build your way up. You will realise that nothing bad happens. Although you will face negative thoughts and that dread when anxiety sets in... You are safe... If unable to face them alone, ring someone and talk to them while confronting your fears or get someone to be with you when you face your fears. Dont try and push yourself too quickly, set realitic goals. For me I was terrified of even walking to the shop at the end of the road, I was convinced I would collapse or something terrible would happen..12 months later I can go shopping in the city centre when its very busy and I feel ok... Those negative thoughts are controlled.

You will beat this. You will take charge of your life. I wish you luck on your journey and if you need support, advice, please contact me and I will help where possible  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: