Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Some success over GAD. Had an amazing, relaxing day! Anxiety-free.  (Read 723 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member

To me the thing that's so overwhelming about GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) is that it is so constant.
It can be a 24/7 feeling whether you're at work, or  at play, weekday, weekend, day or night, with friends of colleagues.  So the stress
is unrelenting.  I find that exhausting as it can affect every aspect of one's life.   :sick0002:   B-;  :dazed:

I sense that I've been having a bad episode of seasonal GAD due to the winter darkness.   
This morning I fully prepared myself to greet the day, and it seemed to pay off big time.

1.  LIGHTBOX
I got up half an hour early so that I could sit in front of a lightbox.  I put the lightbox over my laptop so that it's easy
for me to get half hour in front of the box/laptop.  This is a very important component for me.

2.  AEROBIC EXERCISE
I did 25 jumping jacks, then 25 running in place.  I repeat that cycle a couple times in the morning.  Never before
have I made exercise such an essential part of my anti-anxiety morning routine, and I feel a difference.  When I got into
work (I'm the first one there) I also did 25 jumping jacks!

3.  CHANTING
I did my buddhist chanting to have a peaceful, enjoyable day.  A day where I felt fully myself and confident/normal.
I am Nichiren Buddhist and I chant "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo."  I chant to bring out my "buddha nature" which is me at
my most enlightened and happiest state.  My affirmation is:  "Bring my buddha nature to work."  I LOVE this slogan.

4.  VITAMIN D3
I've been taking vitamin d3 which helps to offset anxiety triggered by the winter season.

I've also been keeping a mood journal on my computer.  I jotted some notes on how I felt during the day.  I find it very helpful to journal my moods so that I can chart my good days and my hard days.  I can track what works and what doesn't.  The triggers for anxiety but also the triggers for relaxation!
"Am having a great morning.  I slept well last night, no insomnia.  I had fun making breakfast:  bacon, eggs, real coffee.  I had no anxiety on the bus
to work. Things seemed very normal and doable.  I was thinking about my goals.  Want to enter my novel in the Amazon contest this Sunday!  I had a nice lunch today at Aubon Pain and had a chicken and avocado sandwich on french bread.  At work I had some minor stresses but mostly things went well. Coming home from work was also enjoyable."

So that's what I do in the morning to pave the way to an enjoyable, relaxing, exciting day.
I definitely will strive to have more days like this till it becomes my natural 24/7 state.   :yes:   :P   :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Some success over GAD. Had an amazing, relaxing day! Anxiety-free.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:15:52 AM »
This is good news.

I'm happy to hear all is working out for you. How does the lightbox make you feel?

Take care.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 08:03:20 AM »
Nice way to state your efforts, some of which I can echo. Also have an a.m. routine of exercise such as tai chi, yoga, some Pilates. Meditate a.m. and p.m. For me it is silent meditation with my own invented mantras, sometimes with music. Sure want to develop a Buddha nature. Am reading Hesse's Siddhartha.

However, I must admit that despite all efforts the quality of days will vary. Keep track of them as plus or minus on my calendar. So be it. Acceptance. Also do journal writing, part of CBT.  Take the good and not so good and never give up. Reconditioning the mind is a bumpy road. Good luck with your novel. Have several non-fiction "Books on the Shelf" which I could never send into the world.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
***** Potatoes, the lightbox makes me feel like it's summer. The bright light gives a lift.
Sometimes I sit in front of the box and breathe deeply, as if I'm inhaling the light.

@tinam7, that's great you also have a morning routine to pave the wave to a low-stress day.
How we start the day seems to be the key.  I agree that I can't always control the quality of my days.
I do know that my days are better because of my regular preparation, so I'm grateful for that.

Also one thing that helps me get to sleep at night.  Instead of lying in bed worrying,
I go to sleep thinking about three things I'm grateful for.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
Could either one of you give me some information (articles, self journals, videos) on how to meditate?

I feel that when I would attempt to meditate my mind would just TAKE OFF into a world of thoughts and be distracted.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
A big question I'll try and keep simple for starters. Just sit in a quiet spot, eyes closed and focus on breathing in and out. You can count, say 4 in, 5 out. Your mind will wander. Gently bring it back to focus on breathing. Sit for a few minutes for starters.

There are books in your library and videos on YT. Don't let anything or anyone discourage you. Let it be your adventure of discovery.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
Potatoes, one thing I do which is a bit like meditating is chanting.

You can sit and face a blank wall or a bright lamp.  The basic chant is
NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO.  You can find videos on how to pronounce it
at sgi-usa but I can't put the full web address here.

When I chant, I focus on bringing out my courage and wisdom along with
my most enlightened and happy self.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: