Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Burning prickly skinů.now burning tongue  (Read 367 times)

Offline irishLondon

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Burning prickly skinů.now burning tongue
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

I really just need some advice and support. It just seems like for the past month i've had one symptom after another.

First it started with bad digestion problems (those have mostly cleared up), then being really sensitive to sound, then insomnia, then a prickly burning feeling all over my body - and now I have this burning feeling on the tip of my tongue. It's this most recent problem that is causing me all this upset. Could these all be really caused by anxiety? I've been on 10mg citalopram again for 2 weeks now, it has helped the insomnia but this burning tongue has started and I just can't take my mind off it.

I'm feeling pretty helpless now. I'm scared to go back to my doctor with another symptom incase they see me as a time waster. I don't want to complain to my family or friends as i'm worried they'll get sick of me. I just wish there was an off switch to these symptoms just even for a bit.

Thank goodness for this place and all you guys

Conor

Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 209
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Burning prickly skinů.now burning tongue
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
Hi Conor,

So sorry you are experiencing so many awful symptoms, but yes, they can all be anxiety.....I take it you've gone to your doc and had a good physical and they tell you all is fine other than the anxiety?

As far as your burning tongue, I hate to say it, but as long as it's at the forefront of your thoughts, the longer that symptom, or any of them for that matter, will continue to bother you.  The best thing for all these symptoms is distraction!! 

I hope your symptoms soon get better!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline irishLondon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »
Thank you very much Kathie,

Yes I've been to my doctor several times and have had several tests. All of which were clear.

My main fear is that these symptoms last forever and I won't be able to cope with themů.that's what worries me most of all.

thanks again for your kind reply

Conor
Bookmark and Share

Offline irishLondon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 04:28:18 AM »
Would love to hear from anyone else who's had symptoms like this. Hope I'm not the only one :(
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 11:36:15 AM »
Hi Conor...

As Kathie mentioned to you, all of the symptoms you have described can certainly be contributed to anxiety.  However, the burning skin and tongue can also be a side effect of the Citalopram (Celexa) that you are on.  I am on Citalopram also, and after being on it for about a month, I had problems with the burning skin.  It lasted several weeks and then disappeared.

When you start on an anti-depressant like Citalopram, serotonin level are increased, immediately.  Most serotonin is actually found in the digestive system, about 90%.  The skin also uses serotonin, as much as the brain does, hence the prickly/burning skin.  Your symptoms caused by the side effects of Citalopram, should clear-up in a few weeks.

Keep in mind that you are currently on a sub-therapeutic dose of Citalopram.  The lowest therapeutic dose is 20 mg, so your physician is most likely going to want to increase your dose in the near future.  When increasing the dose of an anti-depressant, side effects may return, but this is usually short lived.

The very best to you, Conor!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline irishLondon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 04:03:10 PM »
Hi Chuck

Thanks a million for your message. Sometimes my worries run away with me and its good to hear a rational voice like yours.

I think I should probably increase to 20mg. I'm not sure why my doctor is keeping me on 10mg for 3 weeks.

I just need to tell myself that I can cope with these symptoms but at the moment the fear of them is really getting in the way if living my life.

Thanks so much again for your reply

Conor
Bookmark and Share

Offline irishLondon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 01:08:38 PM »
Please, does anyone else get this? I'm starting to worry because hardly anyone has replied and say that have something similar (apart from the very kind replies from Chuck and Kathie which I am very very grateful for).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »
I get mild burning sensation in my feet every so often, but never on my tongue. I think I have neuropathy, but I am not 100% sure.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, HA, BPD. LPR and peptic ulcer. Possible fibro.

Tags: