Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Thought Symptoms were Stress.... but now not sure - MS? Neuro Issues!  (Read 733 times)

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
In addition to the whacky globus sensation in my throat and reflux, I have been having muscle and joint pain and some weird sensory issues.

I made an appointment with the neuro and expected to walk out of there with a clean report, but he said I failed 2 of the sensory tests for nerves.
Now I am FREAKED OUT! Please tell me this could all just be stress/anxiety from 2 months worth of debilitating health worries.

My symptoms have been random twitching throughout legs, calves and feet, but they have really slowed down to being pretty minimal (maybe 1-2 an hour when i pay attention). My worst symptom is feeling that my feet are freezing all the time and some numbness in parts of my feet causing me to change my gait and walk a little funny. Bottom of feet feel like I'm stepping on glass sometimes (comes and goes), I feel like I am walking to the left, but everyone says I am walking fine and I feel the sensation of a cold liquid underneath my skin around my thighs and calves.
Been going on for about a month after a time of high stress in my life. I was praying this was just stress too.

The neuro couldn't get a babinski reflex at all on either feet and acted like that was bad. Actually the tool he used hurt - made whatever is going on flair up. Felt like sharp stabbing pains for 2-3 minutes after that at the bottom of my feet. I thought the babinski test could be normal with no reaction as long as it wasn't positive? Also, the tool that touches different part of your legs and feet that is cold to the touch was freezing on all parts of my body except my feet. Apparently my sensory nerves are going haywire? I don't know- he mumbled possible MS to his assistant when he ordered my brain MRI.

I asked about ALS and he laughed and said that was the least of his concern.  I know the EMG will rule it Next Friday, but based on all my symptoms being sensory- should I put ALS to rest? I am pretty anxious about it. Having anything feel off with your feet/balance is scary!

Neuro's initial reaction was peripheral neuropathy or possible MS. But wants to see brain MRI next week and EMG next Friday.

Also, I should mention I had been doing tons of strength testing in my ALS paranoia and I can stand on tip toes, heels, etc. Neuro even remarked how well I did on the heel test- lol. Guess I am a pro. If only the rest of my foot didn't feel like crap.

Can this really all be stress?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Thought Symptoms were Stress.... but now not sure - MS? Neuro Issues!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:19:35 PM »
It's not ALS for sure. After MRI you will know more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HealthAnxiety12

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:38:34 PM »
I honestly don't know. I have some similar symptoms but I didn't fail any of my neuro tests. Is the feeling on the bottom of your feet only when you're stepping on something? Sometimes the skin on the soles of my feet hurts a little when I step on the carpeting, but I wouldn't describe it as like walking on glass. It's less painful than that.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you'll be okay. Are you in constant pain or do you have stretches of relief? Did the neurologist mention anxiety as possible cause?

You can be confident that you don't have ALS. Trust the doctor on that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:28:13 AM »
Yes, the stepping on something sharp feeling comes and goes when I walk. I feel better at rest - so yes, I get reprieve at night or on the couch. I just find it ironic this happens after 2 months of non stop stress.

Glad you guys agree with no ALS but this sensory crap sucks.
I guess my symtoms sound most like small fiber neuropathy. I really don't think it's MS as I don't have enough symptoms. Neuropathy is in your hands and feet which is where it feel this random pain.

Anyone else on the board with weird sensory crap?
Bookmark and Share

Offline HealthAnxiety12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 12:46:54 AM »
Yes, the stepping on something sharp feeling comes and goes when I walk. I feel better at rest - so yes, I get reprieve at night or on the couch. I just find it ironic this happens after 2 months of non stop stress.

Glad you guys agree with no ALS but this sensory crap sucks.
I guess my symtoms sound most like small fiber neuropathy. I really don't think it's MS as I don't have enough symptoms. Neuropathy is in your hands and feet which is where it feel this random pain.

Anyone else on the board with weird sensory crap?

I was thinking of small fiber neuropathy when I read your post because I've been worried about that diagnosis. I believe that there is pain medication to help with that. What else did your neurologist say? Do you have any distal leg hair loss?

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I have a lot of weird sensory stuff as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 05:40:03 AM »
Distal hair loss? I don't know what that is, but I wish my leg hair would go away.

What kind of sensory crap do you have?

I actually sleep fine - it seems to go away completely at night- which is one reason why I was hoping it was all in my head.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »
No, you don't have ALS.  I too, have weird sensations, that include a surging feeling in my chest and prickly skin sensations in both legs, above the ankles.  Crazy stuff.  I've had MRI's, neurologist visits, nerve tests, blood work..... and everything comes back normal except for a herniated disc in my lower back.  My physician thought it could be psychosomatic.  I don't think he really knows.  I will be going for a physical again in 2 weeks and will have him do some more blood work to see if anything has changed.

I can totally relate to your concern.

Let us know how everything goes, and I hope you feel better soon! :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »
Update for everyone:

If you see my above post - I was having a lot of scary symptoms.

After a brain MRI with and without contrast, EMG of muscles and nerves, and a full blood panel work up (15 viles of blood to check for everything under the sun) my neuro has concluded that I am in perfect health and sent me on my way - he told me to drink a beer and chill out (seriously!).
Even after initially not performing well on 2 sensory tests at my first visit with him. Guess what.....it was ALL STRESS AND ANXIETY!

Every bit of it - numbness in feet, vibrating, electric shocks, loss of sensory perception, dizziness, muscle aches and stiffness, etc.

A-N-X-I-E-T-Y!!!!!

I made a promise to myself that if this turned out to be nothing more than stress/anxiety that I would start seeing a CB Therapist and that is what I am going to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »
Wow, am I ever glad you posted an update.  This type of post will give hope to many of us.  It is crazy what anxiety can do to a person.

Are your symptoms subsiding or do you think that might take a little while?

I too, have neurological symptoms that seem to have no basis. I've been tested extensively and all the results come back normal. Totally frustrating!

Great news that you are ok.
Bookmark and Share

Offline So worried

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 02:11:49 PM »
So glad I read this update on you're symptoms! I've got weird things going on now! but Going to focus on this until I get my test! :-)))
Bookmark and Share
No more google for me!!!!

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »
Happy for you! :action-smiley-065:

It's great that you are starting therapy, good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »
So happy to hear that!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 04:37:01 PM »
Hey GreenD,

Ironically they slowly started subsiding a few days before my test when I was on vacation.
I got a 90 minute deep tissue massage at a fancy spa and was totally able to bring my anxiety down a bit.
The test results just helped the matter and i find myself feeling more normal everyday. Now when  I have the occasional twitch or sensory symptom I just laugh and ignore it and before long I forget about it and it goes away.
I've been deep breathing, distracting myself from symptoms and reminding myself I literally had every test under the sun tell me I am healthy.

My acid reflux and TMJ/throat issues remain, but the sensory stuff seems to have dissipated as soon as I was able to come down out of my anxiety ridden state of mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »
Thanks for all the well wishes guys!
I'm going to be working with my insurance this week and setting up some therapy sessions.
I'm excited to learn to not let this control my life anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline So worried

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »
Hi  :action-smiley-065: did you ever get any sharp lighting pains that could strike anywhere on the body?  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share
No more google for me!!!!

Tags: