Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Effexor XR and Vicodin---is it safe?  (Read 362 times)

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Effexor XR and Vicodin---is it safe?
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:20:15 PM »
Hi,

I'm taking generic Effexor XR, 75mgs a day. I am having a couple of wisdom teeth pulled next week and the dentist is going to give me Vicodin for after the surgery. I've taken it for like a month a while back and has no issues, but I wasn't taking an SNRI then.

Has anyone taken this combo before, will I be safe? The dentist knows what I am taking but I would like to hear from you guys.

Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Effexor XR and Vicodin---is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:44 PM »
I looked up the druge interaction. There is a Moderate Interaction between Venlafaxine and Vicodin (Hydrocodone)

(http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/aspirin-hydrocodone-with-effexor-xr-263-0-2296-1523.html)
Using HYDROcodone together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Side Effects (http://www.livestrong.com/article/225678-the-effects-of-hydrocodone-effexor/)

No drug can ever cause only one desired effect. Hydrocodone and effexor are no exceptions to this and are known to cause several side effects. Side effects shared by these drugs include drowsiness, dizziness, narrowing of the pupils, dry mouth or throat and constipation, says the U.S. National Library of Medicine. Side effects of hydrocodone that are not caused by effexor include changes in mood, lightheadedness, anxiety, problems in urination and itching. Conversely, side effects caused by effexor but not hydrocodone include diarrhea, gas, stomach pain, heartburn, burping, weight loss, muscle spasms, twitching, hot flashes and excessive sweating.

In a nutshell... like every box comes with a warning label, You would probably be okay... just increased effects of these side effects if you suffer from them to begin with.

I'd still consult with your doctor upon getting a prescription.

Hope this helps! :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:52:52 PM »
Has anyone taken this combo before, will I be safe? The dentist knows what I am taking

There is the potential for some side-effects as Potatoes has already posted, however, you should be fine. Just don't drive or do anything risky while on both until you've worked out how they are affecting you.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 06:35:52 PM »
Thank you both so much, I feel better about it. I just always feel better hearing what people on this board have to say, of course after I've talked to the doctor.

You're an invaluable asset to his board Ian, thank you.

Thanks Potatoes, you helped me a lot by posting the links. I hate to google anything out of fear a horror story will pop up, lol.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: