Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Living abroad and experiencing anxiety?  (Read 103 times)

Offline jamespianoo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Living abroad and experiencing anxiety?
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »
I feel that part of my anxiety comes from the fact that I'm from the UK and live in Montreal with my Canadian girlfriend. We met studying. I have applied for permanent residence and the process is very complicated to say the least and having my fate thrown into some faceless official hands is quite a downer sometimes.

Are there others out there who are living the expat life and dealing with things? Sometimes I think about going home, but that would almost be like admitting defeat and throwing away the life I have here. Another thing is insurance. I have a young-expat travel insurance. Do insurance companies cover therapy and counselling and that sort of thing? I wonder if it would be cheaper to go home and get the therapy there.

James
Bookmark and Share

Online kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Living abroad and experiencing anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:51:56 PM »
Hi,

Well, as a Canadian who lived for many years in the U.S., I think that I know a bit about what you might be going through.

The process is complicated but you are from the UK and unless there are deep dark secrets in your past, it's usually a matter of jumping through the hoops . . . I spoke with a friend who is from the UK and now a Canadian citizen having lived in Canada for 16 years and he spoke also of having a bit of a difficult time adjusting . . . .for him, he was away from all family and sometimes wondered if he had made a mistake, etc. but in the end he is quite happy here . . . he has even adapted to the Winters and is a skilled skater . . .

You may just be wondering and playing out the what if scenario and there really is no way you can tell what would happen if you returned home . . . .

Since you are living in Montreal, the Quebec coverage may be different from other provinces . . . how long have you been in Canada?

I sense and I could be wrong that there may be a bit more going on here than being homesick and frustrated with the permanent residence process . . . perhaps are you having second thoughts about your relationship with your girlfriend? are there other issues perhaps pulling you back to the uk and making you feel that you need therapy? Have you been previously diagnosed as having anxiety issues?

The one thing, James, that I am sure of is that you do need to figure out your triggers and that is often more easily done with the guidance of a skilled counselor . . . that you feel that you need this type of support is good . . . .but, in all cases, do come here as often as you can . . .we may not have the answers for you, but we are a very welcoming community and will do our best to support you . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline jamespianoo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:01:48 PM »
Thanks Kconnors for your reply, I have been in Canada for 2.5 years. I came here for studying and met my girlfriend in London, Ontario. She got into Mcgill and we moved to Montreal. I love the city, Montreal is an amazing slice of bilingualism, multiculture, and a little Europe in North America. However it is no coincidence I am writing this in February, the winters do get me down and I am yearning for the summer.

I suppose I am having a few issues with my girlfriend. I do love her, but it is putting pressure on my relationship that I can only stay here with her. I am being sponsored so I cannot technically work here without being with her. I feel a little like my hands are tied, I stay here with her, or leave and go back to England. Both have pros and cons. The anxiety came after a big random panic attack last november, then since January I have been experiencing a chronic level of anxiety. I have taken steps to control it, exercising more, keeping myself busy etc. But this damn application threw a spanner in the works and I am feeling down again.

Bookmark and Share

Online kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:49:56 AM »
It seems to me that you are concerned that your relationship with your girlfriend is tied to your status in Canada . . . and this is a bit of an "elephant in the room" because it may lead to other questions as to whether you are concerned that if the relationship breaks down then you will be out of luck re: residency . . . .

I don't know a lot about immigration from UK to Canada but before you make a decision, you may want to contact http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng . . . . now, this is the office for Canada in the UK . . . it may be that you will need to return to the UK, apply from within the UK, and then immigrate to Canada independently . . . .at that time, you would not be dependent on your girlfriend for your status . . .

You could probably get the same info from within Quebec or, since Montreal is close to Ottawa, call and see if you can visit the office in Ottawa or perhaps a Call Service Agent can help provide you with more direction and the toll free number is Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100  . . .

Sorry I could not be of more help but if it is any consolation, when I went to study in the US, the forms came in two large manila envelopes and this was just to get a non-resident Student Visa and once I arrived, I had to spend 4 hours filling out more forms, getting Immigration and Naturalization Services to thumb print me and photograph me, and then a very stupid 90 minutes trying to convince a university official that I did not have to take an English class because we did speak English in Canada . . . . given that our conversation for the 90 minutes was in English, I just assumed that I could bypass the English class  . . .eventually, I did get a waiver because she was just tired of dealing with me . . .

Take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Tags: