Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sooo stressed about my cancer risk, I cannot function :(  (Read 279 times)

Offline am123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sooo stressed about my cancer risk, I cannot function :(
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »
Some of you may have read my posts on the hypochondria forum, but I'm not sure if what I have is hypochondria or not....I am a certified mess....I found out my parents home has very high radon (27 pCi/L and 22 pCi/L in bed rooms on the first floor), which I grew up in for 20 years....and I just cannot shake the conviction that I am doomed to get lung cancer.  I have ironically taken pretty good care of myself in general, so I always thought I was low-risk for most things...I just cannot come to terms with dealing with this. I feel like I'm living a nightmare.  I feel horrible because there are certainly people out there who have been diagnosed and are actually dealing with it and I am dealing with a "what if".  But I cannot stop thinking about it. It consumes my every waking moment and I just am falling apart. :( My doc put me on buspirone 7.5 mg twice/daily but I'm not sure it's making me any better. I don't know how I can live worrying about this daily (it's been about a month and a half).  Just wanted to know how other people deal with worry of this magnitude (and other folks' radon levels, although NO ONE has specified any concentration so far!).  I know I need to move on from this but I also have this vision of spending the rest of my life worrying about it. :( HELP!!!!

Doesn't help that I have been coughing a lot this past year, doc thinks it's acid reflux.  They wanted to order a chest x-ray but I don't want more radiation, I thought of requesting an MRI instead.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sooo stressed about my cancer risk, I cannot function :(
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »
Hi Am...

In your post, you indicated that your physician put you on the antianxiety agent, Buspirone, but there was no indication about any form of therapy that you have engaged in.  I just started cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) a few weeks ago.  CBT teaches you to face your fears.  It is considered the therapy treatment of choice for anxiety.  I suggest you look into that.

Your problem reminds me of the Serenity Prayer: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can't change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."  There is nothing that you can do to change your past, but there is a lot that you can do to change your present situation, and that will ensure you a brighter future.

The very best to you, Am!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline am123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »
I have been to therapy and my therapist is just starting me on EMDR therapy, although I'm not sure that's what I need. It's based on tramatic things in your past hurting you now. I have had a lot of health related anxieties in the past and my family has had a lot of health problems, but overall I have anxiety and am quite fearful now of the future. I feel as though I've now been stamped with a short expiration date, when just a couple months ago I thought I had my whole future ahead of me.  It's horrible and crippling. And terrifying - I don't know how to stop obsessing over it. And there's not much the doctors can do. Ughhhh! I know everyone that smokes doesn't get lung cancer and everyone that is exposed to radon doesn't get it, either, but I HATE what if scenerios.  I don't know how I can live with the high risk. :(  I spoke to a few experts and they just said my individual risk is low and never to smoke.  But how do they know?? No one knows a lot about radon!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
I feel the same way. I had a pet/ct in
August and did not know the dangers, high risk.
I feel like it's a matter of when not if I'll get cancer
& it's destroying my family. I'm so scared of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »
Have you ever had ct scans?
Is the radon your only risk factor?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: