Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Wanting to improve on lexapro but can't seem to get there  (Read 269 times)

Offline LynnC

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Wanting to improve on lexapro but can't seem to get there
« on: February 14, 2014, 06:51:51 AM »
I've been now on lexapro for 4 months (2 on 10mg). My last month I've had a breakthrough for 5 days and then slumped down again with depression/anxiety. Climbed back up for two weeks and again, slumped. These times are really tough for me since it throws me way back, kills my appetite once again, disrupts my sleep and leaves me feeling vulnerable and depressed. I'm scared since I'm feeling very numb as well, unmotivated and apathetic to what's happening around me in life. I'm definitely not crazy about these feelings. My doctor thinks I should up my medicine but I'm wondering if these symptoms will abate or just get worse on a higher dose? I can't figure out if it's my depression and anxiety setting me back since I'm not fully there yet or it's the flat and unmotivated feelings I'm having that are swinging me back this state since I'm just not the person I was 6 months ago. Has anyone "come out" of this state when upping your dose or felt more "alive" after an increase with less depersonalization and depression? I just want to get better...trying to stay positive but it's been a long journey so far.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Wanting to improve on lexapro but can't seem to get there
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:33:36 AM »
My doctor thinks I should up my medicine but I'm wondering if these symptoms will abate or just get worse on a higher dose?

I don't think they will get any worse, but they may not get any better. If 10mg was going to work you should be getting a better response by now, not necessarily perfect, but better. I think you should either go to 20mg/day, beginning with a week at 15mg, or consider switching to another antidepressant. Increasing the Lexapro dose is the easier and potentially faster option if it works.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:50:12 AM »
Lynn, I'm sorry that you're going through this.  Best of luck to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:28:19 AM »
Thanks Ian. Does one ever snap out of the apathy and unmotivational state once the depression and anxiety are "fixed" or is this a nagging side effect of all antid's? I can't imagine that everyone out there accepts is feeling as the norm or welcomes it. Once one increases the dose what's the chance these feelings will subside once the depression and anxiety are under control? Is there an effective add on medication if they don't? What would be your recommendation on the next anti'd if this doesn't pan out down the road? Thanks for your wisdom!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »
Ancient melody how are you doing on your dose increase?
Bookmark and Share

Offline johnathonm

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »
Lynn,
If you are still having side effects or in a "zombie fog" it might make sense to talk to your doctor about a new drug and/or adding something to augment it like Abilify
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
Lynn:  The good news is that I pulled out of the severe depressive symptoms, and the suicidal ideation. I'm not contemplating checking into the hospital so definitely an improvement there!  :P

On the other hand I do note some perhaps blunting of my affect, just really noticed that in the last couple of weeks. I've also been very fatigued. However, it's difficult to be sure what the cause is here because my children are waking up multiple times at night, and I think the bitter winter is wearing me down a bit too. I'm more inclined to think the latter are the cause, so I'll keep an eye on those things for now.

I will say that the lexapro, while appearing to be affecting for alleviating severe depressive symptoms for me has had a negligible affect on my anxiety. I had just about a week's worth of improvement of my anxiety in early January, kind of like the improved days you mentioned, but none since then. So I don't think in the long run it's going to be effective for the anxiety, however I've been really focusing on mindfulness and other coping techniques and getting through the winter. If the anxiety is still a daily occurrence come spring, I'll be considering a med change.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 04:27:38 PM »
Thanks Ian. Does one ever snap out of the apathy and unmotivational state once the depression and anxiety are "fixed" or is this a nagging side effect of all antid's?

No, they are part of the depression.

Once one increases the dose what's the chance these feelings will subside once the depression and anxiety are under control?

Pretty good, provided the med works.

Is there an effective add on medication if they don't?

You've got a long way to go before add-ons need to be considered.

What would be your recommendation on the next anti'd if this doesn't pan out down the road?

Either Zoloft (sertraline) or Prozac (fluoxetine), with a leaning towards Prozac as it is the most stimulating SSRI which may help shake of the apathy, etc. If it doesn't work then one of the tricyclics such as amitriptyline, or imipramine.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: