Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 89 times)

Offline jamespianoo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:13:37 AM »
Hi there,

Had the odd panic attack here and there as a kid, but nothing severe. Last November out of the blue had a very intense panic attack that ended my up the emergency room. Of course my body was fine, but since then for the last 2 months  I have been having regular anxiety issues. I felt depressed for a while, kept questioning what the point of life is, feelings of impending doom, isolating myself etc, but now have decided to make a conscious effort to improve my state of mind. It is working gradually. I have yet to see a councillor (I am from the UK living in Montreal, Canada so i am unsure whether my insurance will cover it). These cold winters are not the most helpful in anxiety treatment!

Exercise is the number one thing i found really helped. I have been extremely fatigued recently, getting over 10 hours sleep a night. Exercise has helped release endorphins and control my mind a bit more. Going out and working even though I don't want to is hard but forcing myself leaves me satisfied. The anxiety symptoms I get now are not in my head but in my body it seems. Tight chest, clammy hands, restlessness etc. I prefer this to the feeling of hopelessness but it is still uncomfortable. I feel either very up or completely down. Very strange.

I am going to tell my mum tomorrow about this. I have been putting it off because i feel embarrassed by it. Any support would be great from you guys out there and i would be happy to return the (albeit noob) advice.

James
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:28:41 AM »
Welcome to the board James,

Sounds like you are doing things to have a handle on your anxiety. If at all you need any advice or a question, don't hesitate to post around. we are very judgement free here and we aren't going to make you feel stupid for asking.

Exercising is up there on stress/Anxiety relief and I follow that pretty constantly as well, I feel that I take a lot of my issue out in weight lifting.

Counseling is a great option and if you're going to college there will often be a licensed counselor on staff to assess your situations. even with CBT! Best thing is, it's part of your tuition, so you don't really pay out of pocket for it.

Are you looking into doing any medication or seeking any doctor's professional help for these? How often does this anxiety affect your everyday life?

Cold weather definitely does it.

Welcome to the board, post around. have fun.

Take care. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:23:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline jamespianoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
Thanks guys. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that there are other people going through the same stuff.

Unfortunately I'm not in college so I have no coverage that way. I do have travel insurance, but i believe you have to pay first and then claim afterwards. Psychology visits seem to be very expensive. I don't know if I can afford it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
Do you have a primary doctor?
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline jamespianoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »
No I don't. There's a shortage of doctors in Quebec, and I don't have a provincial health care plan.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: