Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Vision loss?  (Read 160 times)

Offline mom2ka

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Vision loss?
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »
Hi there, I am new to this forum and although I have been reading for awhile, I have not posted before. I find this website very helpful but I am struggling with a new issue. Today at work I got a sharp pain in my head and I panicked for a moment and then continued typing. I then felt like I was having some vision problems like a blacked out section of my vision on the left side. I then began to completely panic and it continued to get worse and worse. I had to go to the bathroom and listen to calming anxiety apps and try to bring my heart rate down. I am proud of myself for diffusing the panic attack without fleeing from working which is what I wanted to do. The only problem is now I am terrified that I have a tumour or that was a stroke or something. It was so terrifying and I just can't stop worrying about it. I felt like I couldn't see out of my left eye even though I could if I covered my right but it was distorted. Please tell me your experience if you have had something like this. Thank you!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline olwen2207

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Vision loss?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »
hey!  :action-smiley-065: i have the same problems but i suffer from lights and blurred vision (or so i think) it is awful and i always think i am going to take a fit, which is something i never thought about until recently when my friend was diagnosed with epilepsy, so now i constantly panic that i will take a fit, it is awful! i know that with health anxiety you really do creat problems. Have you thought about having your eyes tested? i had an eye test a couple of weeks ago and found out i am extremely short sighted and since having my glasses i have been totally fine, until tonite. i am having the fear again and i have been fine for weeks
Bookmark and Share

Offline jessica0113

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:00:54 PM »
I've had a few rounds of that since I had my baby.  "Ocular Migraines" were the official diagnosis.  My eyes also hurt while this was happening.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 06:35:52 PM »
Sounds like a migraine.  I've been getting them for over 25 years.  I was young when I got my first one, and didn't know what to do.  I eventually became sick and started throwing up.  Sometimes my migraines have pain, sometimes not.  My key is to get ibuprofen in my body the minute I see the symptoms coming on.

How long did the visual disturbances last?
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline mom2ka

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:11:07 PM »
Thank you all so much for your responses! It lasted about 1/2 hour and I had to work really hard to calm myself down. Once I was able to calm down my vision returned to normal but I had a headache on and off most of the night. I should also add I just recently started working full time again and this was my first full week full time and I was exhausted!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »
I wanted to add caffeine, in the form of a strong coffee, also helps.  The caffeine in a soda is just not nearly enough.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:23:16 PM »
Your symptoms sound like mine when I had ocular migraines. It would start as a pinprick in the front of my vision that I could not see, then it became a squiggly line and I would lose all my peripheral vision. They last about 1/2 hour. It's hard not to panic when in the middle of them. Sometimes I would get headaches after, sometimes not. If you google "ocular migraine," you can read about them. I would always get them a couple days after I'd been under a lot of stress. Thankfully, I haven't had one in about 5 years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »
I have ocular migraines and your symptoms are identical to mines. I loose vision in my right eye. It looks like a, black after images are covering my vision. Mines lasts a few seconds or at most a minute but some peoples will last half an hour or even a few hours. Its scary and awful but harmless.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Tags: