Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Body won't let me sleep  (Read 1470 times)

Offline elliej93

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Body won't let me sleep
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:38:50 AM »
I'm not sure if this is in the right place but  has anyone been experiencing either an anxiety attack or a panic attack before bed and then physically not being able to sleep? This has happened a few times but the other night I had had a panic attack  right before bed, I left myself enough time to calm down and grab some water etc, I was so tired and exhausted but every time I would drift off my body would jolt me awake automatically. It was like when you jump. It wasn't quite the same as the falling sensation you get when asleep but instead more of an actual jerk/jolt.
I assumed this was linked to my panic attack/anxiety but I've had this happen without a panic attack first.
Anyone had anything similar?
Bookmark and Share

Offline NinjaKitty

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Body won't let me sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:16:03 AM »
I was so tired and exhausted but every time I would drift off my body would jolt me awake automatically. It was like when you jump. It wasn't quite the same as the falling sensation you get when asleep but instead more of an actual jerk/jolt.
I assumed this was linked to my panic attack/anxiety but I've had this happen without a panic attack first.
Anyone had anything similar?

Hi there, I have experienced exactly what your describing so many times I have lost count jerking awake or twitching awake in my sleep and literally not sleeping at all due to the panic and anxiety that it stirs up.

I have absolloutly no logical explanation for the jerking awake apart from maybe excess adrenalin bursts due the panic /anxiety attack you had before (or thats how my psych has described it).

Only thing i can suggest if it keeps happening is if you take medication for sleep or to calm you for sleep take it when your in bed, not before bed, try drinking some relaxing tea like camomile or lavender and camomile its a natural muscle relaxant  and may stop the jerky feeling your experiencing.

If it keeps happening i would suggest speaking to your pdoc or general doc about some mild muscle relaxer to take before bedtime (doesn;t have to be anything strong like a benzo or anythig there are lots of gentle ones out there too)

I hope this helps to know your not alone and these sensations also happen to other people, unfortunately i take that much medication at night now i fall asleep too quickly to notice any issues anymore lol

take care and if you want to chat some more or want more sleeeping tips drop me a PM

Take care, be well and stay positive xxx
Kitty
Bookmark and Share
Currently surfing the anxiety waves!!
Current Meds
5mg diazepam 3xdaily
45mg mirtazapine at night
10mg Nitrazepam nightly
sumatriptan (doses vary)
Naproxen 300mg 3 x daily
Buscopan 20mg 4x daily
Lanzoprozol 30mg daily
Trazadone (dose varies)

Offline simoliz03

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »
  Hi I agree to about talking to your doctor for any suggestions.  That can happen to me when all of a sudden you fell like you are going to drift off and bam!  The body jolts.  What I am going to do is give my room a makeover for a great sleeping!  My brother gave me a desk top water fountain!  I have sounds of nature and ocean sounds ( no music) I can play on my boom box.  I brought 2 big glasses where I will put some sand, seashells, and candles in them!  Maybe you can give that a try too?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alphaba79

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »
Hi!

I experience what you are describing on almost a nightly basis. It's very troubling and obnoxious.

I have medication anxiety so I will not take any sleeping aides whether they are OTC or prescribed.
What I have found helps me is definitely herbal teas. Chamomile is good but Passion Flower is even better.

Also, exercising about 2 hours before bed helps a lot. I'm sure you've heard that frequently. It's the only thing that has markedly improved my inability to fall asleep at night. I can definitely tell when I haven't worked out as the jolts/jerks/shocks will get worse and my heart palpitates. It took me a while to get back into regular exercise as I still sometimes get panic attacks in the midst of a gym session. (My first panic attack was in the middle of a fitness class)

I hope you feel better and are able to get some rest!
Bookmark and Share

Offline angels7113

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »
I am going through the same thing right now, it has been a month since i slept a full 7-8 hrs... i've only slept about 8 hours in the last 7-8 days now, i feel like i'm losing my mind!!! I have the same thing where i'm so tired yet i have panic and anxiety, my heart is literally beating out of my chest when i'm trying to get to bed, i try relaxation and meditation techniques but i just hear my heart pounding over and over and over, so i can't drift off into sleep...i have tried meds, they don't work and i still can't sleep :(  I'm so sick of this, when a month ago i was sleeping just fine, but now i have all this anxiety that wasn't there before (after missing a few nights sleep) if you found anything that works let me know, sometimes i can start to drift off while watching tv but then the tv wakes me up a few minutes later, its a vicious cycle..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wakeboarder88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:07:28 PM »
When I jolt awake it's normally from anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danilan80

• Danigirl
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
I have gone through this also many many times when my anxiety is at it's highest. Its like an adrenaline rush and I wouldn't sleep for a couple weeks, at least, until my meds kicked in. I would take a sleep aid (Lunesta or Ambien) every other night or a benzo occasionally just so I could at least get a few hours sleep until my SSRI kicked in. Lexapro helped me greatly with the anxiety and sleep issue, as well as exercise. Eventually it will get better as your anxiety calms down a bit. Mine never lasted longer than a month. Hang in there hun!! Hope u start getting some sleep soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »
I also have the jolt awake thing, my therapist explained it is the startle response. Babies often have it, and lots of anxiety sufferers do as well. What happens is we relax and start drifting to sleep, and our emotional mind is set free of our conscious efforts to contain it, and a variety of things can happen such as a panic attack or the startle response. Maybe try some deep breathing just before bed and try to let your mind relax before you really attempt to sleep to let your mind adjust more slowly to no longer keeping your emotions in control.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: