Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Oral Surgery  (Read 175 times)

Offline bellademic

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Oral Surgery
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:22:04 AM »
Hi everyone.  After four years of putting it off, I'm supposed to get my two erupted wisdom teeth taken out on Valentine's Day.  And I'm freaking out about it.  I HATE going to the dentist anyway and having oral surgery has always been one of my major phobias.  It's not the pain or recovery afterwards that scares me; it's the surgery process itself.  The sedative they're giving me can cause you to go into respiratory arrest.  What if my surgeon isn't monitoring me properly and I suffer brain damage from it?  What if I don't wake up?  These thoughts have been keeping me up for about a week now and I'm coming very, VERY close to canceling my appointment.  Has anyone gone through something similar and can give me some tips on getting a lid on my anxiety?

Thanks in advance.

- Bella
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Oral Surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 05:40:45 AM »
There is a lot of ' what ifs ' you can play over in your head. But I am sure they are well trained by now. I am sure they have done this same job on others hundreds of times. Really I am sure if you wanted to you could as many plus points as negative points if you look hard enough. They are experts at what they do. Not many people like the dentist as a rule. But even talk to him. Explain your fears. My bet is they have heard all it before. I am sure you would have heard too if that dentist had of botched up any jobs in the past. It would have made the papers and they wouldn't be allowed carry on doing what they do. So try see the positive things as well. It will be over before you know it.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:32:23 AM »
My friend has just been through major dental surgery. She had to be knocked out several times. Nothing happened. I've done both general and local without any major complications. Complications can happen but they are extremely rare.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »
My daughter had 3 or 4 wisdom teeth removed many years ago by an oral surgeon and
she was fine and had no issues. Of course she was put to sleep during the procedure.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline crosbie87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 10:41:47 AM »
You also have the option of local anas ... so you are not put to sleep. I already did it and it really wasn't bad. You are awake, but you don't feel anything. This way you don't have to be scared of "not waking up:".
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 16. They weren't even sticking out of my gums. Anyway, they knew I was nervous so they gave me a Rx for Valium. Wasn't too worried about the surgery after taking that! You'll be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bellademic

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 01:33:32 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I did it!  I managed to contain (or ignore) my anxiety pretty well until they handed me the consent form and list of possible complications.  There were a few tears as I laid down on the chair.  By far, the worst part was when they tried to "plump up" my vein to get the needle in.  My hand went painfully numb.  But that lasted all of thirty seconds and almost as soon as the needle was in there, I was out.  I have no memory of the surgery at all.  Two days later, I have only slight stiffness and discomfort.  I'm so glad that I went through with it and don't have to think about those teeth anymore :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: