Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New here, saying hello!  (Read 128 times)

Offline alexa884

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New here, saying hello!
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:29:47 AM »
I'm Alexa, a 29 years old girl from a east european country. I have dealth with anxiety and panick attacks ever since I was 20, and it all started with a traumatizing event, my beloved cat dieing a very painful death right before my eyes. It may seem like there can be no connection between that event and me being concerned about my own wellbeing, but I think it makes a lot of sense actually. After a few months I pulled myself together at the time, but now in the last couple of years things took a turn for the worse, I just can't seem to stop finding reasons for concern regarding my health. Sometimes I get scared over very normal things, like a muscular cramp at night.

As I am going through a particularly challenging time of my life, my anxiety flared up.

Either that, or I am actually sick. Isn't that what we are all thinking?
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New here, saying hello!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:41:31 AM »
Hi Alexa,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
Welcome to the board, :action-smiley-065:

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you sure got a lick of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that's causing some of this. I know a lot of people think that PTSD is when you fight in the war for years and you come back home and have flash backs... but that's not the whole peanut.

Especially if you're having flashbacks and it's giving you worry, it could easily be linked to your own health as well. Health Anxiety (Although I had not have really known how many were affected by it since I joined this board) sits in a lot of peoples minds. I'd have to say that would have to be one of the hardest anxieties to get a handle on it. but everyone can, Just like any other anxiety.

Post around and I know youi'll connect with other people. I just wanted to touch base with you.

Take care.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline alexa884

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:56:18 PM »
Potatoes, your guess is correct that my main type of anxiety is actually health anxiety. It became so in the last few years. I had a weird childhood and traumas I only have flashes of, like a faint picture in my head. My mother was usually freaking out whenever I was coughing or when she noticed that I needed to vomit for whatever reason, so I am not surprised at all that my body is resisting vomiting - I mean physically, some muscles contract not allowing the natural event to happen, making it very difficult for me. I do eventually vomit if I am that sick, but only on the 4'th attempt or so, and with some pain.

PSTD is a very probable thing, but I don't really have a clue what the traumatic event is. Thanks for taking the time to write to me, in my day to day life I feel rather lonely with my anxiety cause people don't take a hypochondriac very seriously.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything