Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Need help for my new job  (Read 200 times)

Offline xvagabondx

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need help for my new job
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »
It's the first time I'm asking for help on a website but I'm not in my home country right now ( Italian living in uk) and I don't know where else to ask for advice, since my time is pretty strict and I have not really much time to search for professional help here.

I have been suffering from anxiety since I was 17, I'm 26 now, and I have learned to manage it pretty well now.
What happends to me is that, when anxiety gets out of control, I start to feel a huge sensation of nausea, toghether with the fear to vomit in public and all of the discomforts connected with the situation ( I guess many of you already knows what I'm talkin about).
What really helped me so far, apart from realizing it was an anxiety problem, was chewing a gum when I couldn't manage to calm myself down; it actually helped to control the nausea.

Now I have a huge problem: I got hired as a steward ( will be starting in a month) and I was all excited for that until... Well it is clearly stated that, when on duty, is strictly forbidden to chew gums.

I really don't know what to do now: I've been using this method forever and never thought of a replacement. I think I have never been without a box of gums since the day I started having axiety issues and I always had to find a new box when I was running out of the previous one. I had to say this just to make sure you get how having the chance to chewing a gum has been really important to me until now !

Please, has anybody a good suggestion for me ? Thanks !
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need help for my new job
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »
Hi "X", and welcome to Anxiety Zone...

Chewing gum is considered a form of distraction therapy.  Now for me, I am open minded to the point of hey, whatever works for you, do it.  That being the case, you can try substituting a piece of hard candy, like a Lifesaver, for the gum, if your new job will permit that.

However, one of the main effective treatments for anxiety is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  CBT teaches you breathing techniques, and teaches you to face your fears.  So in this form of therapy, you don't use any type of distraction, as that is considered a crutch, and you are just masking your anxiety rather then facing it.

I just started CBT several weeks ago, so I am in the early stages of learning this form of therapy.  But I can already see the power in how it works, and that it has a sound foundation.

The very best to you, "X", in your new job, and working through your anxiety!...  Chuck :sign0111:
Bookmark and Share