Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Natural Treatments for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder  (Read 256 times)

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Natural Treatments for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »
Wondering if anyone has had success using herbs and or supplements to stop obsessive thinking??  My OCD is really severe, but it's almost completely thoughts (without compulsions) so I don't think exposure therapy would work.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 85
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Natural Treatments for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 11:57:17 PM »
Wondering if anyone has had success using herbs and or supplements to stop obsessive thinking??

OCD is the hardest of the anxiety disorders to bring under control even with antidepressants and anti psychotics so I doubt any of the usual supplements for mild anxiety will help you.

You could try N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) supplements. It is currently being trialed as an adjuvant to antidepressants for treatment resistant OCD. There is also some evidence that it can be effective on its own in mild cases. HOWEVER, there is a big caveat: DO NOT take it if you are at risk of cancer, especially lung cancer, as there is evidence that it may hide cancer cells from the immune system increasing the risk of developing cancer, or having it spread. This is not the first supplement to be implicated and if this study is correct all antioxidant supplements may be suspect.

My OCD is really severe, but it's almost completely thoughts (without compulsions) so I don't think exposure therapy would work.

It still could work. It is the only non med treatment that may be effective.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 01:33:11 AM »
Thanks for your response Ian.  I know you're not a doctor, but it's great to have your feedback and all your thoughtful replies  to so many people on this site.  You really know your stuff and I appreciate your wisdom and all you bring to The Anxiety Zone.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline BusuB

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
Myo-Inositol has been found to be effective in a limited amount of studies, though the doses used (18g/day) can be expensive to maintain and can be quite the chore to consume.  I've seen anectdotal reports around the interwebz (take it for what it's worth, which isn't much) that found lower doses (anywhere from 4-12g/day) were helpful as well.  Just make sure you discuss alternative therapies w/ your physician/pharmacist, particularly if you're already on antidepressant therapy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9169302
Bookmark and Share

Tags: