Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Prozac mg questions  (Read 204 times)

Offline whippetiggy

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Prozac mg questions
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »
I am a hypochondriac. I originally posted there but someone said I may get better answers here.

I have been out of work and out of money for over a year. I'm so upset and my anxiety got the better of me the other day. I went to my GP and she switched me from 40mg Celexa to 60mg Prozac. I thought that dosage was really high after talking to others who only take 20mg/day. Does anyone take such a high dose?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Prozac mg questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:17:53 PM »
I thought that dosage was really high after talking to others who only take 20mg/day. Does anyone take such a high dose?

Some people do need high doses. I've always needed doses well above the recommended maximum. With the possible exception of Celexa (citalopram) and Lexapro (escitalopram), the SSRIs are very safe even in massive overdose.

The usual maximum for Prozac (fluoxetine) is 80mg, but there are people taking 100mg and more.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »
Some people do need high doses. I've always needed doses well above the recommended maximum.

What determines that?
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:26:56 PM »
What determines that?

A very good question. If someone comes up with a good answer I'll let you know. So far the only one we have is: biology.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline whippetiggy

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:41:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm a little dizzy from 40mg. It's only Day 2 though. Here's to hoping it subsides soon!
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm a little dizzy from 40mg. It's only Day 2 though. Here's to hoping it subsides soon!

That's from the extra serotonin. It should settle down soon. If you had it when you began taking Prozac then expect it to diminish a little quicker than the first time.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Tags: