Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Irrational fears when you KNOW its irrational.  (Read 177 times)

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Irrational fears when you KNOW its irrational.
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:12:35 PM »
Hey everyone,
I have moved on from a fear of blood clots to a fear of rabies! Now the other day I went to a shelter and played with some puppies. They were doing as puppies do and kind of chewing on my hands and licking them. They're puppies so they don't have their rabies shots. This got me worrying about getting rabies. The chances of me getting rabies in the U.S. from a dog is slim to none, especially a puppy who hasn't been out of the shelter its whole life. Even more so when it didn't even close to break any skin! I did, however, have a day old scratch on my hand and thought that the saliva probably got in my (mostly gone) scratch! Every part of my brain tells me that this fear is so irrational and that statistically my odds of getting rabies in this way is practically zero. I also have this problem with HIV. The chances of me having HIV are so so so slim but I cant shake the fear!

Anyone else have experience with this? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Irrational fears when you KNOW its irrational.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
I think exposure therapy would be good for you..Go there and play with those puppies every day..when you see you are not dead after a month, your fear will diminish... ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »
You would know if a puppy had rabies. The shelter wouldn't have them for you to play with.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexa884

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:57:32 AM »
I had the fear of getting rabies when my boyfriend got bit by a cat, and then preventively got the vaccine for rabies. I kept thinking he wont get sick but he will become a carrier and transmit the disease to me by kissing. I asked the doctor 3 or 4 times in a row as if I couldn't believe the answer was no, you cant get it.

That was a year and a half ago, so I'm calm now. But I think I know what you're feeling.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: