Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anxiety getting out of control  (Read 218 times)

Offline rosiela

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anxiety getting out of control
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:41:09 PM »
Hi all,

Just posting to vent more than anything - having a tough time with anxiety over the last couple of weeks or so (recently posted worrying that I had a blood clot!).

It feels like it is just getting worse and out of control, I cried for 10 minutes at work today after spending 10 minutes in the bathroom trying to look at my legs to see if one calf was bigger than the other (have been having slight/on off cramps in both legs but mostly left). It is just overwhelming.

I have looked up so many posts where people have also worried about blood clots, and the main response has been that they would def know if they had one - I have no redness, obvious swelling, can walk, the cramps/aches come and go and are not constant. In fact even tonight while I was twisting around in the bath to try and compare my legs, I realised the irony - they weren't even remotely hurting, I was just still desperately looking for something.

Under a lot of stress at the moment, as broke up with my boyfriend a couple of weeks ago, and been pretty down/stressed at work too. My head knows this is anxiety but there is always that awful little voice that says "yes, but you could still have something wrong with you."

I have made an appointment with my GP for Monday (as I couldn't bear worrying about it anymore at work) and even though am always terrified to go (in case it really is what I'm worried about) I also think it could be helpful if I mention my anxiety issues, and see if they have any suggestions.

So yeah,just having a really really hard time with it today, and still scared out of my brain about blood clots even though right now I have no pain,but still keep checking my legs constantly.

So tired of this :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Re: anxiety getting out of control
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »
I can relate to you so much!  The post could have been written by me (not about blood clots though) it's amazing how much we all share on this board.  I was feeling like that today that I can't take it anymore, I have to DO something to get my mind off myself already.  I don't know where you live but I blame some of it on this awful horrid winter we are having and I keep thinking I'll be better in the spring.  (I also think like you do about doctors!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:43 PM »
Definitely mention your anxiety! They can't treat what they don't know about!!  :yes: and yes you are right if you had a blood clot you would definitely know. Anxiety is a tricky thing, it desperately tries to convince you something is wrong while the other half of your head is trying to be rational. The biggest thing you can do for yourself is talk to your doctor, make them aware so they can help and DONT GOOGLE SYMPTOMS!!! It only makes anxiety a thousand times worse and gives you tons of new symptoms to be aware of.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline MadyMa

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »
I can tell you that I know exactly how you feel because I have anxiety about having ALS.  I can't get it out of my head and it's pure torture.

So, I just wanted to tell you about my mom who was recently diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis in her arms.  When people say you know when you have a blood clot, they're not kidding.  My mom's arms and hands swelled up and so did her veins (they got HUGE).  She also had a deep terrible ache in her arms and hands with redness and heat.  This happened off and on for a few days when she finally went to the emergency room.  They did an ultrasound on her arms, neck and upper back.  This is how they found the clots.  Long story short, my mom knew something was wrong, the symptoms were quite severe.  I just wanted to share this story with you to hopefully ease your mind just a little bit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
My friend had blood clot...he knew that something was wrong because he couldn't lean on that leg, it was hurting that bad.

Trust me, if you had blood clot you woudn't be here asking questions but at doctors office crying not because of fear, but because of pain. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline rosiela

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 03:27:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys :) Really helpful and reassuring to know I'm not alone - though at the same time, it sucks that any of us have to go through this horrible anxiety.  :spineyes:

Cancelled my dr's appointment tomorrow - my head KNOWS it's not a clot (everything I have read on this forum about blood clots says that I would definitely know if I had one) and just don't want to waste their time, not really had any symptoms at all recently - well apart from occasional twinges/cramps in my leg but nothing severe or that I can even describe properly, so can't be that bad. Though I may make another appt if the anxiety continues to be bad, and just go for some advice on that.

I hate how the anxiety always seems to come back though, even after getting reassurance about being fine… I know logically that I am just hyper-aware of my leg at the moment so any time I think I 'feel' something like cramp/tingling/random ache, i immediately go to the scary place. I am so tired of living like this and really want to deal with my anxiety properly this year.

Have downloaded the HA workbook that's linked at the top of this page so maybe that will be a start…

Anyway thanks again:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: