Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weird Throat Issues  (Read 361 times)

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Weird Throat Issues
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »
I can't tell what is going on anymore.  :sick0002: :sick0002: :sick0002: :sick0002:
Anxiety? TMJ? A combo? Reflux?

I do know I have bad anxiety. I also know I have reflux from endoscopy in January. I'm pretty sure I have some form of TMJ from anxiety.
My throat issues are all over the place though.

I have most of my issues right under my chin at the very tip top of your throat above where the Adam's apple would reside.
I feel a tightness there and sometimes a lump that goes back into my neck upon shifting around, relaxing, deep breathing.
Sometimes it feels like someone is choking me there - I had a part of my jacket touch it and I almost gagged - it really feels like i am being choked when it flairs up.  Side note- my tongue feels goofy lately too and sits too far back in my throat (i think from weird jaw placement from tmj) and its been making my gag reflux uber sensitive. I can't seem to fix this as I continue to subconsciously do this during the day.

My throat issues also seem to flair up during eating when i am using my jaw muscles. I have been getting bouts of cotton mouth during the day (I am nose breathing, but it feels like i am mouth breathing) and when I went to eat animal crackers and pretzels with my lunch it felt like i had ZERO saliva. I had to drink water with every bite to get it down.

The latest issue and what has spun my anxiety into overdrive is when i sing (don't judge- radio blasting in the car) I tend to use the top of my throat versus my diaphragm and I had a scary incident last night driving home from work. It felt like my vocal cord was being squeezed or trapped in the top of my throat as i sang. I could barely talk and it felt like some sort of weird muscle spasm. I cleared my throat and deep breathed and it seemed to release and go away but it was scary. Is that your larynx? What the hell would cause that? My normal talking voice is mostly unaffected.

I've been to an ENT doc who felt around and said he didn't see or feel anything abnormal last week. I am going back tomorrow because this is getting ridiculous.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mmhhmm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weird Throat Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »
I have some of the same symptoms as you do. A dry mouth, for almost three weeks, and my throat is also dry. I am having a hard time swallowing and it feels like a lump in my throat a lot of the time. I had this before and it was diagnosed as part of my post partum depressions, after blood tests ruled out some other stuff.

I'm hoping it's anxiety again and started taking celexa again last week.

So in my case, it was all diagnosed as anxiety before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:49:25 PM »
The choking thing is called globus.   I had it REAL bad in 2002.  So bad that I FELT like gagging (it would appear in the gag reflex area) a book described it as a collar too tight around the neck and that is exactly what it felt like when it didn't get REAL bad.  It COULD be from reflux, but I was told it was anxiety.  (I too have reflux and the medication given to me for it didn't help that "lump")
No saliva, also a symptom of anxiety, classic.
The thing with singing?  I never had that, but if that lump is globus then everything IS spasming there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
Can globus be felt that high up though? My weird tightening is at the tip top of throat just below the chin and above the Adam's apple. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:24:34 PM »
I guess it could be anywhere in the throat area because it's a spasm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 12:26:54 AM »
It's calmed down a lot tonight. Seems to get really bad after lunch at work.
Maybe it is all anxiety?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexa884

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:44:26 AM »
I had and still have globus on occasion, and it just feels so real! The first time it happened I was so scared, being alone at home at the time, it felt like someone just pushed a finger under my adam's apple and prressed hard. I sort of got used to it by now and tho unpleasant and kinda scary, I know enough to be able to rationalize and get myself out of the frightened mode.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
The ENT did the camera down my nose and into my throat. So weird- didn't find anything with my vocal cords or tongue or larynx. So bizarre. Guess it's anxiety and reflux with some TMJ thrown in to boot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
12 days later and I am still having throat issues.
I sat in a meeting at work today for a half an hour with my gag reflex constantly triggered. It felt like I could hurl at any minute.
This is in the back of my throat towards the top (right where the tongue ends and throat begins).
My soft palate rises when you say ahhhh and I can see my uvula looks normal - i think the gagging sensation is coming from underneath my chin or jaw placement.

I know I am still coming down from a bad stretch of long term anxiety- do you guys really think its sounds like globus that high up in my throat.
I already have been to an ENT twice and he did the camera up my nose and down my throat and checked my swallowing and larynx and said everything was normal. I just want to start feeling normal again  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: