Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can't accept negative test results.  (Read 671 times)

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can't accept negative test results.
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
This might be TMI/offensive to certain people but I desperately need some input/reassurance/objective opinions.

Monday afternoon I was having sex with my wife and just as I was about to orgasm my head felt like a bomb went off inside of it. It peaked after about 45 seconds and then subsided into a dull ache in about 3-5 minutes. Needless to say, I freaked. After several hours of googling I decided I needed to go to the ER as this was by definition a orgasm induced thunderclap headache which, in some cases can signal an aneurysm, subarachnoid hemorrhage, several kinds of arterial dissections, pituitary apoplexy and a few other very scary and fatal things.

I go to the ER, have a CT and a lumbar puncture, both of which come back clear. But, no matter what I'm sure that they missed something. They had to have. Thunderclap headaches are damn near always secondary headaches and I don't fit the demographic for orgasmic headaches. I'm a women in my 20's and they mostly occur in men. The ER doc was wonderful and patient with me and explained that what I most likely had was an orgasm induced thunderclap headache and that it was probably exacerbated by my tendency to hold my breath right before orgasm. I don't buy that, at all. I don't fit the demographic, if I were a man, I'd believe it but being that I'm a woman, there has to be another cause.  While subarachnoid hemorrhage was probably ruled out, the list of other things were not.

He referred me to a GP as I don't have one but by the time I get an appointment, I suspect that one of these things will have already landed me in the ER or worse, in the grave.

Should I go back to the ER and demand that they do an MRI, a CT angiogram, an MRA (magnetic resonance angiogram) as per the recommendations that I've read in case studies about thunderclap headaches with no know etiology or am I just being utterly ridiculous?
Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can't accept negative test results.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 02:47:10 AM »
I would absolutely trust the ER doctor's advice about which tests are necessary than dr google / random boards and forums.

He is trained and educated specifically in medicine and the human body. He was looking at you and your direct circumstances instead of vague symptoms you could describe to forums online.

You had the tests he believes would rule out anything suspicious. I would not take this one single example of a headache at a moment of tension and demand unnecessary tests from ER doctors.

Also you might not be in the category of most likely to get something but that doesn't mean he isn't right. I am a relatively thin white female non-smoking vegetarian in my mid-twenties and I have occular hypertension. I have to use drops and everything to keep the pressure controlled. Want to know the risk factors for that?  People in their 60s, smokers, obese people and African males :p

Trust the doc in this case I think :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
I agree with the previous post.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline DahliaDollface

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »
He tested me for subarachnoid hemorrhage but not any of the other causes of a headache like that. Any of those other problems could have easily been overlooked, especially arterial dissections which I'm at risk for.

He may have gone to school and may be well trained but that still doesn't negate the fact that there are other causes of thunderclap headache and he only ruled out one of those causes.

I'm not one to just take the first result from Google or forums either. I only get health info from medical journals and places that offer information that has been peer-reviewed and there is a plethora of information stating that I should have been checked for other causes of thunderclap headache before writing it off as a benign sexual headache, which should only be used after all other explanations are exhausted.

How am I supposed to take any comfort in the fact that only one possibility out of dozens was investigated?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
Even if you only get your info from health journals you aren't a doctor.

He investigated the most likely scenario given what you told him and performed tests to ensure he was satisfied you are well.

If he thought there was the slightest chance you needed more tests he would have ordered them.

It doesn't cost HIM anything. HE doesn't need to sit through the test. There is really no reason why he wouldn't have ordered them if you needed them. :)

Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
Even still, he HAD to have missed something. My head is killing me. I've been having a headache build up gradually all day and it has to be because he missed something that can only be diagnosed with the tests he didn't order. There's no other explanation other than I'm bleeding in my brain. I was fine yesterday but today because I got out of bed and strained myself I'm sure, it worsened the bleed and now it's only a matter of time before I'm gone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:43:53 PM »
Even still, he HAD to have missed something. My head is killing me.

You're stressing yourself out over it. Doctors are paid the big bucks to diagnose and treat these types of things. A doctor wouldn't risk letting something like that go and potentially losing his reputation and his license. How's he going to afford to go golfing with his friends on the weekends if that happens?

If you're not at ease that maybe your mind is just playing tricks on you, maybe you could go in for a second opinion... or at least go back to the doctor and accuse him of that he HAD missed something. :yes:

take care.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline aec711

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:53:34 PM »
I think that if it were a brain bleed - even a small one - you would have other symptoms other than a headache.  Weakness, numbness, slurred speech, mental confusion, etc....  Especially since it has been almost a week.  I am an xray tech and have worked in the ER for almost 12 years.  I have seen quite a few brain bleeds and they all have had other symptoms...hope that helps :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05:35 AM »
I am an xray tech...

I better not find any "Excessive Radiation" posts from you. (;

I'm only kidding. if you do, this post is completely coincidental. :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline aec711

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 12:20:52 AM »
Haha - I have been trying to reply to those posts and help people that are scared of radiation.  I said that is about the only thing I am not scared of lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
Thanks a lot aec711, that does actually help quite a bit. My wife has been telling me the same thing but it's a lot more believable coming from someone who has actually witnessed someone with a brain bleed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aec711

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »
Good!  I hope you are feeling better - even if you aren't - you know how our brains and give us the worst symptoms and they are totally real to us.... sigh :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lalaland

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »
I really don't want this to come across as snarky, but you do realise your original ER doctor has most likely seen his fair share of brain bleeds too and the fact you displayed no symptoms of it is probably why he didn't send you for all the tests you wanted? :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 10:22:04 PM »
Was feeling better and then it happened again about an hour ago. It wasn't as bad as the last time but it was definitely the same kind of headache during the same time.   Thinking I should go back to the ER as something is definitely wrong. There's no other explanation for this to be happening other than something sinister. There's no reason that after nearly a decade of being sexually active I'd start having these headaches without a cause.

I wonder how long I have before I die. I read that most people with a sentinel headache/bleed due to an aneurysm have the aneurysm about 10 days after the headache so I'm guessing that I have about 4 days left to live since the first one happened on the 10th and it's the 16th now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aec711

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 11:58:42 PM »
So, when I read about these headaches - it says the come in clusters and will last for weeks or maybe months and then disappear.  You would have other symptoms - I promise :)  The CT would have shown bleeding. I bet it is just this weird type of headache - it says it can be from adrenaline releasing.  You can talk to your doctor, but I am sure you will be alive in another 10 days :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: