Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Newly diagnosed health anxiety  (Read 130 times)

Offline yorkieluv

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Newly diagnosed health anxiety
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:16:47 AM »

My husband has been newly diagnosed with Health Anxiety with random episodes of Panic attacks. It has totally encapsulated our lives. I absolutley adore being aroudn my husband! He is my best friend! This has been a challege!
He has always had a tendency to anger easily (we have been married for 20 years) yelling at the kids but has never been aggressive! He has a huge heart. As a child growing up his father was the same way. His father tended to yell at him quite often but again.....father was not physically aggressive and had a huge heart.
My husband has also had some VERY slight signs of OCD in our years of being married......and I am not even sure that it is OCD tendencies.....he just really likes to keep his truck and boy toys very clean to the extreme.....(where people actually notice his anxiety around this) he also has been known to continously check to see if he locked the house or locating his wallet.
About a year ago he starting experiencing neck pain due to herniated disc. took multiple measures to tyr and relieve pain but just did not seem to work until recently when he underwent the ESI.
THe ESI seemed to help within a week and we were both relieved that he was finally pain free.
In Nov 2013 he started c/o hesitation on urination, went to the dr and results were neg for infection but the dr. treated him with antibitoics for prostitis.
I noticed he started googleing his BPS meds and his antibitoics and prostatitis ALOT...... he then started c/o dry mouth, lump in throat, constant need to clear throat etc. He then went to allergist and was treated with a steriod......he then started getting achy legs and incosistent stools and AGAIN started overly scanning the web for side effects of meds.
He finally stated to me one day "remember when I went to the motorcycle rally in Oct.? There was a man there that did not have a shirt on and he bumped up against me and he had these bumps all over him....do you think I have HIV?"
He began crying one day and said I dont want to die. I cant breathe and I think I have lung cancer or something has got to be wrong with me.
since all of this.......multiple test, CT scans, MRI, EKG, have been ran and trips to ERs with c/o chest pain and SOB. All come back negative.
He recently had a full blown severe panic attack and this is what finally triggered the need to see a psychiatrist and a therapist for which he has been seeing for 2 weeks now.
I notice he is twitching at night and sweats severely throughout the night. he c/o achy legs allllll the time.
I feel that every minute and every second of our day consist of talking about this. He seems to always be sad and not himself (understandably so) I know he has an illness and I know that these feelings that he is having are truly ligit and almost debilitating for him. I almost feel like I am being selfish at times because when we go to dinner he is in another world and constantly speaking of his aches and pains and seems so out of line with life. it makes me sad! I feel like I am losing my husband..... I need a spouse support group as I continue to work through this devastating situation that my husband is going through.
I feel like family and friends will not understand because health anxiety is used so losely in the world today and most do not understand it so therefore are not easy to talk to.

He is now taking Zoloft 100mg 1x day and has been for about 1 1/2 weeks and is also seeing a therapist. He says that when he gets up in the mornings he feels really well up till about 2 hours after he takes his Zoloft. He takes his Zoloft at 7:30 and at about 11am He says that he begins to feel ill with multiple symtpoms. ANY SUGGESTIONS???
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newly diagnosed health anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newly diagnosed health anxiety
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
Welcome to the board Yorkie,

It always puts a smile on my face when I see couples work through their anxiety issues. You are very supportive of him and you sound like you and him are both good parents for your children.

Anxiety takes over emotion like the plague. It's a horrible sense. Nothing is worse than fighting mental battles constantly. Especially when you never know where it has rooted from. From the sounds of it he is built up with this own battle (yelling at the kids) but that is his anxiety showing through. To hear that he is not aggressive towards them shows that he has a handle on himself, even if it's a loosening grip.

Being that you were there for him through all of his health fears shows you as a great companion. Those with anxiety have a hard time expressing or talking about it because people will look at them as if they are overracting... often being told "just don't think that way, or just knock it off". We are all entitled to our own feelings and we all have Anxiety... it's what keeps us alive. some of us just have a little bit too much juice in the blender.

I am glad that he is looking into Therapy... I remember the first time I stepped out of the office of therapy just for introduction purposes, I felt like I had a handle on my life... for the first time in 5-6 years. There he will learn how techniques to view things from a different perspective and fight through this struggle.

You mentioned he started on Zoloft. I am as well... I'm on my 5-6-7th day of it (I can't keep track) and believe me it gets worse before it gets better... I've had the worst anxiety this week than I have had since this anxiety manifested. Sometimes the psych will give you something to calm these anxiety spikes but they are to be expected.

Not everyone experiences them but they do happen. I haven't had much of physical symptoms other than being pretty sluggish, but it will all go away eventually. Stick it out.

Welcome to the board, post around... with anything. we're judgement free here.
 :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Tags: