Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: CJD fear  (Read 207 times)

Offline Walking Circles

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
CJD fear
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
Ok so I was at the store earlier and went to the rest room. When I washed my hands there was some sort of blackish gunk on the handle, it was sticky but very hard like tack or something. Then when I threw my paper towels away I noticed a bunch of bloody gauze in the trash can and now I am worried that there may be a connection between the gunk on the sink handle and the bloody gauze. If that were the case could I have exposed myself to CJD this way? I worry because I have a few nicks on my hand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: CJD fear
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:38:42 PM »
I had to look the disease up. It's extremely rare. Maybe five people die of it a year.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:38 PM »
I suppose that is a mark in my favor then. Still really worried about it, I suppose it just hit me because I read about a case of it earlier tonight.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
I know that this one is out there, but can i really rest easy on this one? I am afraid of looking it up, is it really that rare or hard to spread?
Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
There is no chance that you would have contracted CJD that way. People who die of the "normal" type of CJD (not the vCJD caused by "mad cow") are usually genetically predisposed and it occurs almost exclusively in people aged 60 and above. Furthermore, CJD and vCJD are prion disorders caused by misfolded prion proteins and aren't something you give or catch from person to person. There have been a few instances of people having brain surgery and getting the variant type from contaminated surgical tools that were used on people who were infected with vCJD but all these instances occurred in the UK,  and can be traced to the outbreak in the late 80's and early 90's and there haven't been any further instances of infection that way. I have never read of anyone "catching" regular CJD.

You really have absolutely nothing to worry about. This used to be one of my fears and eventually I was able to step back and realize that it just wasn't a possibility after how long I'd been worrying about it. Also, I lived overseas during the outbreak and even in light of that, I'm not worried about it at all. Neither should you, I know how hard it is to stop worrying about it though. Hopefully some of this information will be of a little help.
Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
Cool thanks for the info! I have been worried here lately because I saw that news article where they used surgical tools on somone who had normal.CJD and didnt sterilize properly and had to warn subsequent patients. It was a neuro surgery place that this happened. So the chance of contracting it from accidentally touching some blood or mystery gunk on a faucet is low? Does it matter that i had some nicks on my hands? I am not sure i came into contact with the blood, but i did touch the gunk though i washed my hands twice right after. Thanks for answering as this has me really worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »
From my understanding, there is no way CJD can be transferred from something such as an open wound. It'd have to come in contact with your brain or the vitreous fluid in the eyes (also only possible via surgery) hence why those incidents of contamination only occurred in people who had brain surgery.  Also, the statistical probability that the person who left the blood even had CJD is ridiculously low, like nearly impossible low. People who have CJD would not be wandering around a store, bleeding either due to the debilitating nature of the disease. Also, the chance that the black stuff was something biologic in nature is also pretty low. It could have been adhesive, old sticky food (having a four year old, I know that enough sticky stuff can get hair and dirt in and turn into black gunk that looks pretty scary), etc.

I know this stuff is scary and I know how hard it is to stop obsessing about it so it's not a problem answering :)
Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 08:23:42 PM »
Thanks for your answers the really have provided a lot of relief.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: