Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ladies in their 40's and over...please help with irregular bleeding questions!!!  (Read 338 times)

Offline dancer67

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
I am 46 yo. For about 5 years now, I have spotted 2-3 days prior to getting my cycle. The spotting would come any time from day 23 to day 25, with getting my cycles around days 25-29. My cycles would last 6-7 days, with day 2 being my heaviest day. Back in September, I decided to try the Mini-Pill. Progesterone only pill. (I cannot take regular BCP pills due to hypertension). That pill was awful. Thought it would regulate my cycles, or make me skip a few cycles, but all it did was make me bleed. I came off of it in October, I bled the whole month of November. In December, I started spotting on day 24 and got my period on day 26. So I thought I was back to normal. At the beginning of January, I started spotting on day 22 and got my period on day 25. Really not that unusual.

Well, we went out of the country towards the middle of January, and blamo. I started spotting on vacation on day 18. Got my period on day 20. I have never had my period THAT early. I chocked it up to the travel possibly.

I had my annual visit with the GYN last Thursday. Told him what happened. He decided to an endometrial biopsy. He doesn't think anything will come of it. But I do not have the results yet, so I am still on edge about it. He also did a pap smear.

Well, here I am AGAIN. I am spotting AGAIN on day 18. Cramps like I always have every time I spot. What is going on???? If this is perimenopause, I thought your periods came closer together THEN further apart and then it stopped. At some point.

I just cannot deal with having spotting on day 18 every.single.month. I go a whole 11 days without bleeding.

So, if my endo biopsy comes back negative(and my thyroid is fine), can this really just be hormones, or still from taking that horrible Mini-Pill??

I have already tried Mirena IUD and had to have it taken out. I am running out of options. I will not have an endometrial abalation because of my health anxiety. Every little change, twinge, pain etc is going to send me over the edge. And you cannot reverse an endo ablation. After that, it is only hysterectomy.

I don't have anyone to ask about this, because my mother is not able to communicate with me.

I don't want surgery. But there is no way I can have my period every 18-20 days every single month. I am scared, and I am tired of cramps. Tired of pads/tampons/pantiliners and trying to plan things around my periods.

I really just want my period to end. For good. So tired of this. And right now, I am worried this is going to happen every month, or my endo biopsy is going to come back telling me I have CA or I may need surgery for something.

Any help or advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm not in my 40's yet (36) but I'm going thru something similar. I have been spotting mid cycle for a while now, with long long periods that start off as spotting. OB's nurses blamed my Paragard IUD, but spotting continued after removal. Ended up getting an U/S, MRI (b/c radiologist saw fluid in tube) then finally an endometrial biopsy. My OB thinks that I have Adenomyosis based on my symptoms and MRI, that would explain the bleeding. Her answer is the pill, which I just started taking so I'll see if that helps. My mom had Adenomyosis, ended up having a hysterectomy at the age of 43, she said it was the best thing she ever did doesn't regret it for a second. If I end up needing a hysterectomy I don't fear it based on her experience.

Sorry I couldn't be much help since you can't take the pill, just wanted you to know that you're not alone. Maybe you could look into natural supplements like Vitex if your situation is hormonal? Best of luck and please update me on your endo results.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
I'm almost 3 years post menopausal (I'm 55), your period can do ANYTHING at these times.  When I was 45 I noticed my first huge period change.   I had my period for 4 days, it was very light (and that dark brown color) for 5 more days, then on day number 9 it got heavy again like it was a new period and it lasted for 4 days and stopped.  I've had periods in 21 days, then I'd have periods in 3 months.   I once had a period last 40 days (very very light - one panty liner all day if I had to), that was my LAST period, then 5 months later I had one spot and that was it.
So like I said, it can do ANYTHING at this age.   This 18 day thing only happened once or twice and your doctor is doing a biopsy
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
I'm almost 3 years post menopausal (I'm 55), your period can do ANYTHING at these times.  When I was 45 I noticed my first huge period change.   I had my period for 4 days, it was very light (and that dark brown color) for 5 more days, then on day number 9 it got heavy again like it was a new period and it lasted for 4 days and stopped.  I've had periods in 21 days, then I'd have periods in 3 months.   I once had a period last 40 days (very very light - one panty liner all day if I had to), that was my LAST period, then 5 months later I had one spot and that was it.
So like I said, it can do ANYTHING at this age.   This 18 day thing only happened once or twice and your doctor is doing a biopsy?

Yea, I know.....I was surprised he even suggested it. Actually, when I went to see him last Thursday, it had only happened once. And now I am on day 18 again, and I am spotting. I actually got my period on Day 20 last month. He told me that I was "complaining of irregular bleeding"...........I didn't realize that getting your period anwhere between days 22-29 is irregular bleeding which I have had now for quite some time. When I complained of the spotting prior to my periods about 3 years ago, he did an endo biospy then. I wonder if he did this because he knows I have anxiety? All I know is that both endo biopsies hurt like an SOB..... :P

My periods are not painful. I do have a history of anemia, which I take iron pills. Have been for about 3 years now. My levels have been steady. But now the past two times, getting my period earlier, I don't know.

How long were you in perimenopause before it finally stopped altogether? I do not have any other symptoms(no hot flashes, insmonia) Have had the vaginal dryness for a very long time, that is about it. My period is heavy on day 2. Not heavy enough where I have to stay home. But at night, I can soak an overnight pad. Funny, the last two periods though, that didn't happen. Hmmm....

Do you really think this is hormonal? Did you take anything to relieve the irregular bleeding? Or did you leave it up to nature.?
Do you think my GYN was a little bit overcautious with that biopsy?

Thank you so much for chiming in.

And to the above poster, thank you for the answer back. I don't think I have adenomyosis, but then again, I don't have my biopsy back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
You said you wondered if he is doing all these tests because he knows you have anxiety - no.... I think he's doing them because he knows you have insurance...  (I'm sorry, when it comes to doctors I am very cynical)  It does sound like your doctor was a bit hasty.  Then again I never told my doctor any of those issues.   I had just been 8 months before that incident in 2003 and I had my regular appointment 2 months after that 40 day period.  All was fine, I never mentioned the abnormal periods.
Anyway, my first weirdness was October of 2003 and my period stopped totally April 2011.  I didn't take anything at all - nothing for the irregular bleeding and nothing for hot flashes or all the other "good stuff" that goes along with it.
Your thing really does sound hormonal!  You are 46... I was 45 when peri began.  Not that all women are the same age when it starts, but it gives you an idea.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
You said you wondered if he is doing all these tests because he knows you have anxiety - no.... I think he's doing them because he knows you have insurance...  (I'm sorry, when it comes to doctors I am very cynical)  It does sound like your doctor was a bit hasty.  Then again I never told my doctor any of those issues.   I had just been 8 months before that incident in 2003 and I had my regular appointment 2 months after that 40 day period.  All was fine, I never mentioned the abnormal periods.
Anyway, my first weirdness was October of 2003 and my period stopped totally April 2011.  I didn't take anything at all - nothing for the irregular bleeding and nothing for hot flashes or all the other "good stuff" that goes along with it.
Your thing really does sound hormonal!  You are 46... I was 45 when peri began.  Not that all women are the same age when it starts, but it gives you an idea.

Yes. And GOOD insurance(Blue Cross/Blue Shield).

My health anxiety tends to do this to me. I freak out when something isn't the same. And I think going into menopause is going to be a rough road for me. Always thinking there is something wrong.

I am not sure how I am going to handle getting my periods so close together if they do this every month now. I get quite crampy when I spot before my periods, and I am miserable. Having hte spotting every 23-25 days or so wasn't so bad. But evey 18 days is going to make me miserable.

I hope this ends soon, and menopause is right around the corner.

Thank you for your advice. It made me feel so much better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
I have extremely bad health anxiety and you know what?  I was pretty good with peri and menopause because ANYTHING that happened to me I'd just say, "Oh that's menopause" and I'd blow it off.  You may be the same way. Now with anything I am now getting back to worrying about things.  However some of the new things I am getting (tingling) says it is common for it to START post menopause, so I'm trying to blow this off too.  Except this one is harder, the others I'd think, "Oh it's just menopause" and I'd immediately stop worrying about it.  But I also have NOTHING going on in my life now and all my attention and thoughts are on my body sensations.   If I'm out with my friend or worried about how much snow we'll get THIS time around, I'm fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
I know I have to realize that I am 46 and my body is going to change. I tend to always fear the worse.(PTSD from some bad medical problems). Once the biopsy comes back, I am just going to ride the ride, unless my bleeding picks up so bad where I cannot leve my home. In the meantime, it is what it is, and I know at some point, it is going to stop. Forever.
BTW, I love your screen name. I live in the North where all we get is snow and cold all winter. I love Palm trees, the beach, and warm weather. I am hoping someday to move out of here!!!
Thank you so much again and will update when biopsy is back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm sure everything will come back just fine. 

I'm 45 and had a similar situation several years ago.  For two months straight, I had my period normally but then in between I had a light bleeding all month long.  By the second month, I went to see my GYN and they ordered a couple of u/s's that came back fine but they also wanted to do a biopsy.  I declined that, mainly because I was scared.

The following month it stopped.  I haven't had anything like that happen to me again.  I'm thinking it was related to giving birth the year prior.  Who knows.

Anyway, I think in the mid 40's menopausal symptoms begin.  I just recently had another pelvic u/s and external u/s done due to constant pain in my lower right abdomen.  I was concerned about my ovary.  Both u/s's came back fine.  I have fibroids but knew that already.  I think these odd aches and pains are simply age related. 

My mother had a hysterectomy in her late 30's due to heavy bleeding so I have no idea when she would have started menopause. 

Post back when you hear your results but again, I really think everything will come back normal and all of this is just due to your hormones and age.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
I'm in the north too - New Jersey - due to get hit with yet ANOTHER storm!   And so frigid cold, I've had my icon "mood" as a cold shivering blob for weeks already.
Some women (a lot actually, but thankfully it never happened to me) is they get "flooding" before their period ends.  Nothing is wrong with them it's just that hormonal thing again.  I am shocked at all the things hormonal imbalances can do! You are fine!  Don't worry and keep us updated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Poke This Member
Thank you ladies for both of your responses. Getting old stinks. But I sure will be glad when this comes to an end.  No more pads/tampons/pantiliners/cramps etc....

Sunlover, I live in New England and once again we are getting hit with yet another snowstorm!!! Ugh....

I will post when my biopsy is back. Crossing my fingers everything is ok.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: