Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Makings strides through nutirent rich diet  (Read 127 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Makings strides through nutirent rich diet
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »
Hi there, a lot can be said for food and how it can be used as medicine for our bodies, to help it function in a better way.

Lately I have found my anxiety/depression to be less bothersome, and I can relate it to my increase in eating foods rich in the nutrients that help reduce the amount of stress in my body.

I've been starting my day with a bowl of oatmeal sprinkled with raisons and walnuts.  Have been eating more oranges.  At lunch, I cut 1/4 of an avocado up to add to my salad which is made with spinach and other greens, with olive oil dressing.  I snack on almonds.  Broccoli is often incorporated in my meals.  These foods along with many others have been a part of my diet for years.  I feel centered, calm, happy, positive when I eat this way. 

Oatmeal--boosts serotonin
Walnuts--contain omega 3 fatty acids, known to have positive effects on mood disorders
Oranges--have vitamin C, which can curb levels of the stress hormone cortisol
Avocados--good source of tryptophan, a compound that becomes serotonin, the brain chemical that promotes relaxation
Spinach--rich in magnesium
Almonds--have selenium; fights depression, fatigue and anxiety
Broccoli--stress fighting B vitamins and folic acid

I drink 1-2 cups of green tea a day (l-theanine)
My evening treat is dark chocolate

I really think eating this way has been very helpful in the management of my anxiety/depression, I would recommend it to anyone else looking for relief!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Makings strides through nutirent rich diet
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
Hi CarrieAnn...

Thanks for the most wonderful post!

So funny, but I haven't had an avocado in ages, and just a week ago last Sunday, when I was doing my weekly grocery shopping, I picked one up.  I made turkey, Swiss cheese, and avocado sandwiches.  Oh, they were so yummy! :party-smiley-016:

Your oatmeal with raisins and walnuts sounds fabulous!  I am going to add that to my shopping list, and start having that for breakfast.

In just the last few weeks, I have added chamomile tea to my diet, to replace coffee.  A hot cup of tea is so good on these cold mornings or evenings.

Thanks again for the inspiring post!  The very best to you, CarrieAnn!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: