Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can my anxiety be causing these symptoms?  (Read 337 times)

Offline SammyRiver

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can my anxiety be causing these symptoms?
« on: February 11, 2014, 03:46:33 PM »
Hi everyone. Firstly sorry if I ramble on but I don't have anybody who really understands what I'm going through in my 'real life' so I just need to get everything out on here. As crazy as it seems in the 21st century I honestly had no idea there were other people like me until I found this site today so Im actually writing this with tears (of relief) streaming down my face as I type.

Okey, so, Im a 26 year old female originally from UK. I have had panic attacks and health anxiety for as long as I can remember. its been fairly mild, focusing on my heart and sudden death, but Ive usually been able to rationalize myself out of it... Usually.... Ive rushed to the emergency room only twice in the last year thinking I was having a heart attack.

BUT! after a recent experience it has now gone into overdrive and is ruining my life. I cant eat, sleep, go to work or do anything thats not googling my symptoms. My new fear is Rabies.

I wont go into too much detail, but I was bitten by a dog (neighbours pet) a month ago, recieved post exposure treatment, and basically the dog is fully vaccinated, still alive well after the allocated quarantine period and 100% does not have rabies. Therefore I 100% do not have rabies. From the dog that bit me. However my anxiety is making me believe that I was mistaken and it was another dog that bit me and Im in my final week of life after being infected with the fatal disease.

Im not looking for advice on whether I could have rabies. I have spoken to many people including neighbours who saw the dog and professionals at my local Rabies centre about this. (I live in Turkey, where Rabies is still a problem so we have special hospitals just for this) Although if anybody else has had the same anxiety it would be great to hear from you.

Im looking for advice on some symptoms Im experiencing that are convincing me I have the disease even though Im logically pretty sure I dont and whether my actual anxiety could be causing them. When Ive read online what symptoms to look out for in Rabies, I suddenly develop them.

Symptoms:
Fever
Sore throat - more just a tight feeling and difficulty swallowing
Light-headedness
Not eaten in 2 days
Lower back pain
Pain in leg near bite - this one is really getting me. I can feel a physical muscle ache near but not on the bite. Online Ive seen the pain of rabies is a sharp, burning on the site itself so Im surprised my anxiety hasnt given me the 'right' pain which is making me paranoid that its not my anxiety doing this.
Dry mouth - again a confusing one as rabies would have the opposite effect

Thanks in advance for any support and insight any of you can offer me

Sammy
Bookmark and Share

Offline colorlessideas

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can my anxiety be causing these symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »
Most of those symptoms sound like anxiety. Not eating can cause the light-headedness and dehydration (which causes dry mouth), pains, sore throat can all be anxiety definitely.

How high is your fever and how long have you had it? Have you taken anything for it?

I'd say rabies is very unlikely and I think you'd feel much worse if you had it. However, if you have a high fever or mild fever that won't go away, I'd see a doctor.

Try to make yourself eat more. Sip on some hearty soup, that's what I do when I'm going through bad anxiety and feel full and don't want to eat.

Hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 04:44:22 PM »
Your mind can talk yourself into ANY thing and that is INCLUDING a fever!  (well, not if it's over 101 or something  - how high is it?)  I kept taking my temperature because it kept reading 99.9 or around there.  My husband said, "Anxiety could do that!  Go take a Xanax"  I didn't believe him I "knew" I had a fever....  but I took a Xanax and guess what, it went back to it's usual 98.3 and I was fine.
Even if it's over 101, that doesn't mean it's rabies!  There's a lot of stuff going around these days.  Viruses, flus, colds.
Stop googling!  That is the first thing to do, that is keeping your anxiety alive.  I have gone crazy when googling.  Laying on the bed crying thinking I have cancer, MS, ALS, you name it!  I even came up with RARE things and obsessed over them.  Google is your number one enemy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SammyRiver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:25:41 AM »
Thanks guys
To be honest i havent measured my fever so not sure what it is, just know im hot/sweaty/chills. Ive took cold and tablets and usually feel a bit better afterwards. Sometimes i feel fine other times i feel like im literally about to pass out.
I forgot to mention im getting aching in both arms too?
I wish there was a rabies test they could do, just to put my mind at ease but they say theres no such thing. So i know that for the rest of my life, every time i get flu/aches/ anything i will have this anxiety about rabies
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 05:09:29 AM »
I have very similar symptoms Sammy - my face/forehead will feel flush/warm as well. The lower back pain has been coming and going for me the past few weeks, and aching, tingling, numbness, etc in my arms is also pretty normal. Like you, the feeling of a heart attack has put me in the ER a few times this past year.

Now, I haven't been bitten by a dog, but I can imagine that hasn't done your anxiety any good. Rest assured, you're probably fine. An infection or rabies from the bite would be apparent in stronger symptoms and more than likely, visible infection.

You know as well as anybody here, the mind games anxiety can play and the symptoms it can manifest itself in. Take deep breaths, drink a glass of cool water, and stay away from Dr. Google.

Bookmark and Share

Offline SammyRiver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:01 AM »
Clippergoodwill its so good to hear of others having the same feelings as me. This is the first time ive visited on of these forums and its helped so much just in one day.

This morning i woke up at the crack of dawn and was straight on the bus to the rabies clinic AGAIN and they once again told me ts simply not possible to have rabies and im showing zero evidence of the disease. On the way home I bought a new digital thermometer and took my temperature and would you believe it - its completely normal. I dont even have a fever! Its unbelievable how much my anxiety has affected my symptoms. Now i can see that these symptoms are purely symptoms of anxiety and thanks to this forum i can see that this is real and can be dealt with. Ive contacted a therapist to help me through it because although im feeling pretty good at the moment i know its not going to stay like this for long!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: