Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of doctors?  (Read 165 times)

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Scared of doctors?
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:48:40 AM »
Is there anyone out there like me who won't GO to a doctor because they are too afraid?  I'll go if it's something they could look at real quick or pick up in a blood test.  But I get absolutely PETRIFIED if it's something that I THINK a doctor would require some kind of invasive or expensive test for!  I just worry until it resolves on its own (driving everyone around me crazy) and I usually never tell anyone (friends) symptoms because I have this horrid fear they'll say the words, "You should go to a doctor"...  those words set my anxiety into even a higher tailspin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of doctors?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 06:46:59 AM »
I'm exactly the same way.  But, I get scared even just for something minor like a blood test because I worry "what if my blood work is off?"  So I do the same thing you do, I just wait until it resolves itself and annoy my family about it.   ;D

I have been asked by the doctors before if I'm nervous because my blood pressure goes up when I'm in their office.  But I am just like you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:42:23 AM »
I am the same way.  I'll put off going with the hopes that whatever the problem is, it will just go away.  I don't want to hear that something is wrong.  When I do finally go, I'm analyzing every facial expression and comment that the doctor makes.  One comment or look of concern will send me into a tizzy of anxiety.  Same goes for the dentist.  I always end up rushing in on an emergency basis because I've put something off for too long.  Why I do this to myself, I have no idea. 

It's almost like I don't want to know that something is wrong yet it's okay to let my mind wander and create all sorts of scenarios of what I think is wrong.  Can't win.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:06:14 AM »
I am the exact opposite with doctors, but am that way with the dentist.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:30 AM »
I'm exactly the same way.  But, I get scared even just for something minor like a blood test because I worry "what if my blood work is off?"  So I do the same thing you do, I just wait until it resolves itself and annoy my family about it.   ;D

I have been asked by the doctors before if I'm nervous because my blood pressure goes up when I'm in their office.  But I am just like you.

My blood pressure is always sky high at the doctor's office too!  Oh I too will worry oh no, maybe the blood is off, or if I go for a routine check up (necessary for my job, otherwise that would NOT happen!  LOL) I make up a story in my mind, "They found _____ and it was only on a routine check up"   but I don't worry to the point of going off the edge like with other things.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:54:40 AM »
I am the same way.  I'll put off going with the hopes that whatever the problem is, it will just go away.  I don't want to hear that something is wrong.  When I do finally go, I'm analyzing every facial expression and comment that the doctor makes.  One comment or look of concern will send me into a tizzy of anxiety.  Same goes for the dentist.  I always end up rushing in on an emergency basis because I've put something off for too long.  Why I do this to myself, I have no idea. 

It's almost like I don't want to know that something is wrong yet it's okay to let my mind wander and create all sorts of scenarios of what I think is wrong.  Can't win.

I hear ya.   After every listen of the heart, "Is it OK?"  push on the abdomen, "Is it OK?"   They pause too long on some area of the body and forget it!
Somehow I think that if I DON'T see a doctor for a problem then it's nothing, but if I GO, then it will be something serious.  I know that makes no sense, but my thought process about health usually doesn't.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
I am at the same place right now. I used to not be this bad I would go and find out what was wrong with me. I have been having all kinds of symptoms since last may. I would love to go have test but am afraid they will find something wrong and I would have to deal with it.I am so tired of it
Bookmark and Share

Tags: