Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Food recall has me worried about mad cow.  (Read 248 times)

Offline Walking Circles

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Food recall has me worried about mad cow.
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
So that massive beef recall has me terrified that it might be because of Mad cow contamination. I saw someone online speculating that that was the issue. However so far I don't see anyone saying that in an official capacity. I have also seen others saying that all meat is considered unsound or diseased until inspected and that the issue was that most of the meat wasn't properly inspected. Does anybody know anything about this? Apparently it is a expansion of a recall from last month.

I am really freaking out over this and could use some reassurance. I hate it when people spew fear mongering crap without any info because mad cow is a huge fear of mine. I had just got it under controll and now because of this I am all worked up over it again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline christina10778

• A.K.A. "Noble Queen"
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
    • Poke This Member
Re: Food recall has me worried about mad cow.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
I will look into it and see what I can find out.
I don't eat meat most of the time (transitioning to Vegan) and the couple of times that I have in the past 6 months it has been from a local free-range farm here, so it won't throw me into a panic attack  :winking0008:

Where do you live?
Bookmark and Share
My Health Anxiety Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8-5ZQ6ZyRtI4ccjpE_4QwQ/videos

My Blog: http://thoughtsineuphoria.wordpress.com/

1 Peter 5:7 - "casting all of your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you."

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »
Arkansas. I don't figure it will turn out to be anything to do with Mad Cow but I still can't shake the fear. I have seen a few people online who are supposedly in QA that deal with this sort of thing say that often the meat is fine but since they skirted regulation and got caugh they are covering their butts. I am told unless it goes through all the proper inspections it is assumed to be diseased or unsound. Like I said Mad Cow is just a huge thing with me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline christina10778

• A.K.A. "Noble Queen"
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
"The unfit product has been distributed to distribution centers and retail facilities in California, Florida, Illinois, and Texas. The agency said there have not been any reported illnesses thus far.

Unfortunately, it is not publicly known which companies received the beef product or whether it got to restaurants or markets."

Other than what you already know (It's a Class 1 recall and it was 8.7 million pounds of beef), this is basically all any article could tell me....
Which means, regardless, you are 100% completely safe.
There is nothing to worry about.
Plus, there has been no illnesses from any of it, yet.

Nothing has been made public as of yet.....but, since there have been no illnesses, I do believe that it is just a safety procedure and more of a, like you said, "covering their butts" kind of thing.
Bookmark and Share
My Health Anxiety Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8-5ZQ6ZyRtI4ccjpE_4QwQ/videos

My Blog: http://thoughtsineuphoria.wordpress.com/

1 Peter 5:7 - "casting all of your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you."

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Flirty
    Flirty
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »
Did you buy that meat at your local supermarket ? if yes, it almost surely has been inspected, so the risk of vCJD in there is so minimal that noone should even bother thinking about it, plus, its so rare that evenn if the meat was not inspected you shouldnt take it to consideration, according to WHO ( World Health Organisation, which means the statistic is legit surely. ) olny 2-3 cases are in US per year... 1 in 150 000 000 people get it, which is like 0.00000005 chance to get it, you will be fine :)
Bookmark and Share
Surprise ! ocd sucks.

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
Thanks for helping. I really figure it's nothing too serious it just bugs me that they are being so vauge. Surely if they was more someone would be talking. I just hope they aren't waiting to do a big press release with the bad news.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 06:58:47 PM »
So is there any more info out there on this now? I am honestly afraid to google it and find out. Surely if mad cow waa the fear they would mention it right? Still really concerned about this one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 10:57:30 PM »
I wouldn't worry. It was a recall bc the meat wasnt inspected. That doesn't mean it was bad or that you got some. I ate a salad from trader joes that wa later recalled. I didn't get sick. Recalls are often bc they missed a part of inspection or in some cases added an ingredient they shouldn't have.

I did however get very bad food poisoning 14 years ago, possibly from a cruise ship. It really sucked but it didn't kill me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »
Ok so I am so freaked out about this one again that I am nauseous. I was looking into this and found this website, http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/recalled-beef-from-cows-suffering-disease-will-cause-same-in-humans/. The article is gone for some reason but the headline is recalled beef from cows suffering disease will cause same in humans. I am panicking because I am certain that they are talking about mad cow. Why would this be gone? Is there any way we could see what it said originally, I am crying over this right now because now I am really afraid that mad cow may be whats up. Any help would be great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:05:53 AM »
Any one? Still really worried about this. I mean I couldn't read the article and that was the only one I saw to that effect, is it possible they pulled it because it was wrong or something? I mean I haven't seen anything to that effect anywhere else, I thought that the usda had done one or two mad cow related recalls in the past and were up front about it so surely they would be this time right? I am so freaked out right now.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 06:41:52 AM »
Mad cow in England was because they were feeding cows to other cows including the brain.  That has been illegal in this country for a long, long while.  SO unless you were recently in England and had beef you're all set.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »
Right I had forgot about that. I suppose this one just hits on some irrational fears for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 01:08:30 PM »
Ok so I know I have been riding this one really hard here lately but it has me really stressed out. Does any one know if Laura's organic ground beef is on the recall list? It was the only beef I ate in the last year, I bought it here in Arkansas if that matters. Also does anyone think that they maybe hiding evidence of mad cow on this one? I doubt it as I think one or two recalls have been done for that reason here in the U.S. before and I think they were up front right off the bat about it. I also did some more digging and found out that the original recall that was only for one day of production was because the plant processed some culled dairy cows without the full inspection. I am still terrified of them coming out and saying mad cow was the cause of this one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
So I guess I'm just way out there on this one?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »
I really, really doubt that organic beef would have mad cow.

As someone said above - the cause of the mad cow outbreak years ago was a spongiform that cows got by eating feed that contained the brains of other cows. FAR from their natural diet and I would be just about certain that organic feed doesn't contain that.

The feed included cow because it was cheaper and a lot of large scale meat producers are all about their bottom line. Organic meat costs more to produce but tends to be geared towards people who can afford to pay a little more for the sake of their health.

People who buy organic food don't like the idea of the cows eating pesticide in their grass. Can you IMAGINE what the backlash would be if it was found out they were eating feed with other bits of cow in it? :p
Bookmark and Share

Tags: