Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mole biopsy question  (Read 269 times)

Offline InTheMoment

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Mole biopsy question
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »
I'm still waiting on the results on a mole biopsy -- it's been 6 days now.  A derm removed a funky looking mole from the next of my 11 year old, it had been there for years, but was asymmetrical and recently started to develop different colors.  I am trying not to freak out too much, since melanoma in kids is rare, but you all know how hard that can be.

So has anyone ever had a mole removed/biopsied after it had been traumatized?  It was removed last Tuesday, but the day before my son picked a the mole -- and picked enough to pick part of the top of the mole right off (though he said it didn't really bleed).  I told the derm that it had been picked out, but I'm worried that the recent trauma will make the pathology hard to read.  I know I've read in the past that it can actually cause a false reading for melanoma.  Sigh.

So has anyone ever had a mole removed right after a trauma to it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline SighNoMore

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mole biopsy question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:05:23 AM »
I have had a mole removed that had trauma to it. One of my children picked at it then it got scraped, then I rubbed it. It was removed a day or two after these incidents. The derm said it had quite a bit if trauma. Pathology came back very clear that it was a benign mole with trauma.

Hopefully you get good news soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline etethorpe

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
I think a lot of people have a mole removed that has had trauma because very often a shave biopsy is done first, cutting the top half right off.  Then if that comes back with dysplasia the entire biopsy is removed and looked at further.
Bookmark and Share

Offline InTheMoment

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »
SighNoMore -- was yours removed only because it had been traumatized, or did it look atypical before it got picked at?
Bookmark and Share

Offline SighNoMore

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
It looked atypical first. I had noticed it was looking weird, and then before I could go in the trauma happened. My derm never does shave biopsies. She takes the entire mole and a small margin from the get go. I appreciate that.

Thankfully all my biopsies have come back ok!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: