Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Emg experiences anyone?  (Read 175 times)

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Emg experiences anyone?
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:56:07 PM »
I'm getting an emg soon and was wondering if it's as bad as everyone on youtube makes it seem? The reason I'm getting it is cause I think I have slight carpel tunnel syndrome. I'm a little nervous I've heard of people becoming paralyzed afterwards.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Emg experiences anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »
Hi,

I never had one but my brother in law, brother, and friend all have had them . . . . .they found the procedure, as my friend called it, annoying --- my brother in law is not a good judge because he has had dental surgery without the freezing because he finds the freezing inconvenient --- yuck!!! but my brother who has a fear of all things medical said that there was some assistant who kept on distracting him with, as he puts it, rambling on about her family (I think this is just a ploy she used to distract him). . . . just ask all the questions you want beforehand especially if you have to abstain from caffeine and make sure all the healthcare providers know that you suffer from anxiety and, of course, at any time during the test, you can tell them to stop . . . personally, I have not heard of anyone becoming paralyzed afterwards but ask the doctor . . . a lot depends on you being anxious so perhaps if you took a close friend or family member with you (ask the doctor first) that might help . . . let us know how it goes, okay? Take care, KC
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »
Hi DL...

I had an Electromyography (EMG), done several years ago.  I had no knowledge of what to expect just prior to the test, didn't watch a YouTube video or anything.  I didn't find it to be any big deal.  About as uncomfortable as having my teeth cleaned.

There are no side effects from a EMG, so I'm not certain where you got the idea that you can become paralyzed from the procedure.

KC gave you some good advice.  I did have a best friend with me, during the test, and the doctor was fine with that.  If you take a benzodiazapine when needed, to treat your anxiety, you might consider taking one prior to the test.

The very best to you, DL!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:04:41 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, that really calmed me down I'm gonna take my gf with me I think, and def takin my klonopin beforehand. I have a hard time giving blood without feeling like I'm gonna pass out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: