Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Antibiotic's aren't working, unsure of next step.  (Read 195 times)

Offline NightBlizzard

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Just Breathe
    • Poke This Member
Antibiotic's aren't working, unsure of next step.
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
So a little background - earlier last week I went to the doctor because I was feeling pressure in the side of my head and some dizziness. Well she told me she found fluid in my ears and that it sounded like a sinus infection so she put me on Augmentin for 10 days and told me that if it wasn't getting better to see her again.

It's been about 5 days in and I haven't noticed much, if any improvement. In fact since taking the antibiotic my ears have been hurting more, my nose has gotten more congested, smelling smoke everywhere, and I've started to get chills.

I've never taken a 10-day course of antibiotic's before nor have I taken Augmentin before either so I'm not sure at what point I'm supposed to start feeling better, or if I should call her before/after the treatment is done.
Bookmark and Share
"Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass - grant me forgiveness"

Offline stressed18

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Antibiotic's aren't working, unsure of next step.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:29:29 PM »
I am in the exact same boat. I mean exact. I went to the dr with an ear ache and swollen lymph node behind my ear. Was told I had a lot of fluid on ears. Was given Sudafed and steroids. No help so they gave me augmenitin. ( not spelled right) on day 3 now and no relief yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »
Do not stop taking the antibiotics unless  your doctor specifically says to. They don't make you feel better, because thats not what they do. They help kill bacterial infections, and most of the symptoms you get when you are sick are what it feels like when you body tries to kill an infection. If after 10 days you see no real improvement, then it rules out a bacterial infection and means you have a viral infection. And theres nothing you can do about a viral infection, since we have no reliable cures for the flu and related viruses.

So unless you start doing even worse, wait the ten days and finish the antibiotics before calling them back. antibiotics take days to really get working, so be patient and remember: The symptoms you feel are not caused by the infection, they are caused by your body fighting it. And it doesnt take any chances. It'll stay like this until its sure the threat is gone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
It may take some time to work. Also antibiotics can make you feel worse. Please make sure that you eat yogurt and/or take probiotics.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Connor94

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:19 AM »
Your symptoms may be at their peak. It can take a couple weeks sometimes to get completely over a sinus infection. I rarely feel way better after 5 days. I would say finish your antibiotics and if you still feel unwell go back to your doctor. I know its awful but you have to give them time to build up and work.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
Inner ear infections can take, easily, 10 days to start to get better. The 'germ' might be dead but the clog and fluid can remain for quite a while.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: