Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: My first post...and my issue with anxiety and vacations...  (Read 174 times)

Offline lljh

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My first post...and my issue with anxiety and vacations...
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »
Hi there.  I'm a 37 year old male happily married with 2 adorable little tots, but I have suffered from GAD for almost 8 years now.  It has been well controlled by medication, but occasionally I'm hit with anxiety related to sleep.  I seriously have a phobia of not getting enough sleep which in turn sometimes leads to me having anxiety when I try to sleep.  Usually 1 or 2 Xanax will help me out, but last night it didn't at all.

See, this week my family and I are headed on a vacation ski trip to Colorado.  Tickets are purchased, and the entire vacation plan is paid for.  I am super excited about going, as we all are.

But that's not my issue.  For the past few weeks since we booked it, I began to put a little pressure on me getting a good night sleep prior to the trip.  If I don't get that good sleep, especially prior to the trip, I am going to ruin it for me and for my entire family.  I have to sleep well leading up to it, or it's going to be a disaster.  And that is where the anxiety hits me.  Last night, I was up till probably 3 despite 1.5 MG of Xanax.  I got just a couple of hours of sleep, and I have 3 more nights until the plane right.

I absolutely HATE this about myself.  Losing sleep to me because I am excited about a trip maybe the night before seems totally legit.  But losing sleep 4 days prior because I have put pressure on myself to sleep is just plain dumb.  My wife doesn't understand why I do this, but it's not something I can help.  I have go get therapy but every therapist I get recommended doesn't take my insurance.  Eventually I will find someone, but for now I've got to just keep trodding along getting insufficient sleep until I actually make it out to Colorado, where I will probably sleep like a baby once I am there.

Does anyone else have this ridiculous fear of not sleeping enough?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My first post...and my issue with anxiety and vacations...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:42:58 PM »
Hi, this probably is not the answer you're asking for, but I drink 1-2 cups of green tea during the day for the relaxation and sleep benefits.  Green tea has something in it called l-Theanine which is has a calming effect, also promotes good sleep.  I have found that since I started drinking it I get more deep, restful sleep every night.

It may help you calm down some so that you will be able to get that sleep you want and need.

Anyway, hope that helps! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nann James

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
Does anyone else have this ridiculous fear of not sleeping enough?

Yes, here is what works for me.
(1) Ativan and
(2) leaving the TV on at night.  I don't know if you can do this, but I leave the TV on and my mind focuses on the tv and not that I can't sleep. Before I know it, it is 7 AM. What works best is news or something.  Sometimes a documentary like frontline.  Tvs have sleep buttons where it will shut off if you are worried about it.  My mind is focusing on the tv show and trying to stay awake because I want to watch the tv show... seriously works.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephpuck

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
I get this anxiety about sleep. It actually all started 4.5 years ago when my first child was born. It comes now and then. I had a bout of this anxiety about two weeks ago. It is very stressful. Sleep is very important to me and I keep myself up thinking about how if I don't get sleep what a horrible day it will be. Just want you to know that you're not alone :)

I've found that what helps me is reading on my phone. I start reading in bed around 10:30 and I usually fall asleep around 11:30. I know sleep experts don't agree with reading in bed but it works for me. It helps to take my mind of my anxious thoughts. Hope you can find something that helps and that you can enjoy your vacation :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Possum-Pie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
Here is what I get from your post:
I HAVE TO get enough sleep
It will be a DISASTER if I don't
You are putting so much pressure on yourself, that you surely will not sleep.  Try some self talk. It would be nice if I got 8 hrs sleep but it won't be the end of the world if I don't.  If you can't sleep after 1/2 hr, get out of bed. read a book until tired. you don't want to pair the bed with a struggle and frustration.  Start an hour before bed, turn the lights down, unwind, no tv/internet.  look at a newspaper or magazine, and no loud music.  cut the caffeine out after 4pm b/c it hangs in the system 4 or 5 hrs.  It isn't a fight, it is a leaf following the currents downstream to sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: