Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Off balance all times of the day  (Read 183 times)

Offline Jburdie

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Off balance all times of the day
« on: February 08, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on anxiety zone hope it finds me some relief!  :action-smiley-065:
So I like to start off my saying that I've read post from AZ and have always found something great to
Take away from it, so thank you. My name is Jessie and I'm 24 years old and I have GAD. It all started on my 24th birthday in July. I am not sure if it was the extreme heat that throw me off that day but I felt sick and dizzy all day which eventually lead me to having a panic attack and not being able to attend dinner with my family  >:( . Anyways since that day I have had other "mini" panic attacks since that has brought me to where I am today. It's been a rough journey the last 6 months. Lots of downs some ups and I have discovered that I have a strength within me that I don't think anyone I know has. I will not give up. I know this anxiety will eventually subside I
Keep trying new coping techniques and programs and yes I have lost hope a few times but the very next day I wake up determined to try something else. I am a form believer on alternative ways of dealing with anxiety rather than taking medicine and I hope I never have to. Because I've seen my mom struggle trying to find the right anxiety medicine most of my life and Nothing ever seems to be the right fit for her. Anyways I went way off topic. On Halloween of 2013 I had another bad panic attack at my house with a few friends over. It was very embarssing because  I asked them to leave because I didn't feel well. I also just lost my job 3 days before this and that might have triggered another episode. Since then I have been afraid I fear the fear and I fear the symptoms. I use to love going out with friends and shopping and I still do all those things because I won't let anxiety completely stop he but I notice I do not enjoy these things as much because I am always worried what if what if what if. I've had good weeks where my anxiety is at like a 2 most of the week and bad weeks where I am a 8 or 9 most days. I took Ativan as needed but really really try to only take it on extremely anxious days. So that comes to my topic. I have pin pointed my anxiety. I realized that it's comes on when I start to feel this off balance anxious dizzyish light headed feeling. Usually when I'm at dinner or at the store. Some times I can let it go and enjoy myself but other times I can not. I have recently learned it might be from a tense neck or not breathing correctly. But that's just it I can't explain it well so it's hard for people to help me. Basically I will be walking down a hallway or standing and talking to someone and it's the same feeling it's this wobbly off balance feeling. I sometimes don't even feel anxious but once I get a taste of this feeling I start to worry. Nothing ever comes from
It. Not panic attacks I don't fall... Nothing it's just uncomfortable and keeps
Me from concentrating or enjoying myself in a conversation with a Stranger or at dinner with my boyfriend. Does anyone else feel this way? It's mostly when I'm Standing up at work or walking in a store. I need advise on how to relieve some of this feeling because I think this is my biggest issue right now among other things but this off balance feeling is really starting to become annoying.

Thanks everyone!!
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Off balance all times of the day
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:37:11 AM »
Wow!  I THINK I know what you mean!  It hits the worst in stores for some reason!  I then had to stop taking walks on the street because it would happen REAL bad, I'd feel like the street would all of a sudden dip, or in stores I feel I have to be walking near the shelves because I feel like I'm on a boat or something.  Once in a store I was going to walk out the door and I was "propelled" in the other direction, like my head PUSHED me that way.  I was real bad from around Sept of 2009 to around then end of 2013.  I kept blaming it on my glasses (I wore contacts since 1976, and then went to glasses in 2009)  BUT...  if I took a Xanax and went for a walk it didn't happen! 
What you have to do is get a book Hope and Help For Your Nerves by Claire Weeks.   She explains how we become frightened of a symptom and that acts as a trigger until we learn to "float" through it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »
I can relate - the exact way your anxiety begins is the same for me. I can feel an attack coming because suddenly I'll feel light headed, and detached. That's when I start mentally thinking "Oh crap, here we go again." Like you, I can also trace mine back to a specific day. 3/18/13. Prior to that, I hadn't had any major symptoms of anxiety but I do recall being stressed out from a busy holiday season at work, and having to deal with an unusually high maintenance/demanding girlfriend that I had broken up with that January. Kinda silly, I know, but without going into detail it was a pretty intense situation.

I've had to cancel get-togethers with friends, trips, going out, etc because of sudden anxiety problems. They can literally come from nowhere. My friends have been amazingly understanding and supportive through the whole ordeal. They're just as bewildered as I am, how this can suddenly happen to someone that was pretty grounded and laid back. We would go down the list of symptoms I had been having, and try to tie them to possible causes based on things I might've done that week, or anything that could be stressing me. Nothing ever stuck, I'd stop all caffeine intake, and still have attacks. I'd work out more, or less, and still have attacks. They even occurred while I was on vacation from work, and just sitting at home doing absolutely nothing. They weren't always constant,  there were times I felt normal and could go out and enjoy myself. But every few days, the symptoms would come back. It's important for me to say that during this time, I was in absolute denial of the whole "anxiety" theory. Again, I thought I was too laid back and relaxed for that, and searched heavily for a biological reason. Visited several dr's, ER trips, imaging, etc. All came back normal and the only problem was what it did to my wallet in co-pays. Thankfully I'm insured.

When I finally accepted it was anxiety, the attacks became MUCH easier to deal with. Not fully 100% cured, but definitely on the right track now. That's how I ended up here. Seems like you're ahead of the game, and accepted it as anxiety from the start.

I've noticed that sitting down, taking deep breaths, and drinking water does seem to help alleviate some of the symptoms for me. When it gets real bad, I get as comfortable as possible (usually laying in bed with the lights off) and just ride it out. It's real hard when it happens at work, I just do the best I can to get through it and not let it impact my job. It's not easy at all though.

Bookmark and Share

Offline skim50

• The BooBoo Guru
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »
Its normal to sway a little bit when standing. What's happening is you have become conscious of this. Instead of your body correcting it naturally you are obsessing about. Feeling off balance if there was something wrong means you would be falling onto the ground and you couldn't walk in a straight line.. It would be hindering your ability to function. How do I know? I had the off balance anxiety before.. Thought something was medically wrong with. I had all the tests run, for over 20 things, and guess what? I am fine. Its been months now since I've felt off balanced.. Don't doubt how much anxiety can debilitate you. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share