Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GAD  (Read 125 times)

Offline Sariahsmom

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
GAD
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »
If there is anyone out there with any advice I would greatly appreciate it. or anyone who can share there story with me.  Im just so alone even though im married with children.  makes no sense does it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Totally understand where you are coming from.
I am the oldest of 7 siblings and I am married (though I do not have children--actually due to a health issue).
I was diagnosed with GAD in 2011. I was told to take some meds which I did for two weeks but they backfired and made everything worse.
I went off --per the doctor and my not wanting to be on them anymore.
I decided to take things into my own hands. I found a person to go speak to and I found an acupuncturist. I still do the acupuncture to this day.
I tapered off talking to someone after a year.
I have been able to manage things even with some severe health issues of other family members and having to attend to them.
You have to make sure that you attend to yourself and get out and do things you like. Walking (OK--I live where there is A LOT of snow right now so not so easy) is wonderful.
Try and be with others of similar likes (hobbies or sports). With children and a spouse you feel you have to be tending to them and taking care of them that you get lost in all of that.
you have to do something for yourself and it is not selfish to do this. I am still finding this out.  things get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »
Agreed... First and foremost is to educate yourself on anxiety, you've done the right thing by coming here. You'll see that you're not alone and that anxiety takes on many shapes and forms.

Since you asked for someone to share their story, and I kinda feel like typing anyway...

Mine started on 3/18/13 in the middle of class, I was in my final semester of college. It was a day off from work, and my only plans that day had been to attend this one class and meet a friend for a burger. Not exactly a high pressure stressful day. In class, I noticed my vision seemed to blur and it took effort to focus on the lecture. Lightheadedness hit me, and the right side of my head started tingling strongly. I felt like I was going to pass out, my heart started racing. I then texted a friend to come get me, and we went to the ER. After some blood work and a chest xray, they released me with some hydroxizine (an antihistamine), and had me take one right away. They stated that I had high anxiety and had a panic attack, and needed to see a neurologist.

I was dumbfounded... me, a panic attack? I was always the calm one among my friends. When people worried and made rash decisions, I was always the rational one that didn't rush, stayed calm, and made sense of even the most chaotic situations. My friends would always comment about me being very laid back and not worrying. And now I have anxiety and (allegedly) had a panic attack? It was hard for me to believe, even harder for my friends who encouraged me to keep researching the real cause of the problem.

Throughout the year I visited my physician, neurologist, and even a cardiologist after a couple of bad attacks with chest pain, high pulse and blood pressure. Every test came back clean and clear. It wasn't until a few weeks ago I accepted the anxiety conclusion and began researching it, and ended up here. Funny thing, once I accepted it, I began to feel a lot better immediately. Sure, I still have symptoms, but I understand them a lot better than before.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: