Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Quitting Grad school  (Read 230 times)

Offline judowrestler1

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Quitting Grad school
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:33:15 AM »
Hey guys, I'm new here and am looking for advice. In undergrad I was a Math major(4.0 Math GPA) and a lot of good students decided to go to grad school and was extremely excited when I made it into a top 10 school for a statistics PhD program. I started getting depressed and experiencing general anxiety during the first quarter. I chalked it up to being 21 and extrovert in Math grad school filled with people who are either far older and the only person around my age has Aspergers and there is a language barrier(He's Chinese) and being halfway across the country from where I grew up.  and just ignored it figuring I'd adjust. Anyway the depression got worse and I wound up on probation after the first quarter. I wasn't sure if I wanted to return to grad school but, decided to mostly because I wanted to face my fear. Since I returned after a few days I got my first panic attack(Which felt like I'd just been through the roughest workout of my life, sweating and all.) and again, did the wrong thing by ignoring it. Now, it's at the point where midterms are coming up and I've had up to 3 panic attacks in one day and they'll wake me up in the middle of the night and haven't been able to study for weeks. Anyway I'm at the point where I just want it all to be over(grad school that is). Does this seem like a good idea? I'm really just looking for advice or comments.

Bookmark and Share

Offline HRB39

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Quitting Grad school
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:21:04 AM »
Hi, I am almost 40 now but found myself in a similar situation as you in my early 20's. My anxiety and panic feelings prevented me from going to class and I spent years dropping classes so I could get the $ back, just to do it again semester after semester.

I can tell you that not graduating at a traditional age dissapointed and followed me until my early to mid 30's.  Terrible jobs etc until I went back to school. 

I've since completed grad school with honors but I am no where near as marketable at my age as you would be at yours.

Understand you're not going through anything a ton of people are going through and you are safe. See a doctor, meds if necessary, and live to your potential. Don't give up, you can overcome poor grades early on, better than at the end.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:24:33 PM »
Don't let your anxiety take away your potential. You have a gift for numbers and that is amazing. Go see a therapist and learn how to manage the panic attacks. Go on medication if you have to. Finish grad school. You will thank yourself!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »
Finish grad school. Don't let this ruin your future. Good luck :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: