Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out about C. Diff  (Read 340 times)

Offline lawkcrabb

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out about C. Diff
« on: February 07, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »
It has been one hell of a week...

After being sick all last weekend with sinus issues I went to the doctor on Monday.  Sure enough, they diagnosed me with a sinus infection and gave my a script for a high dose of Amox... 3 - 500 mg tablets twice a day for 10 days.  (Also, my son was home Monday with vomiting from a tummy bug.  He vomited all morning and then was fine.)  Anyway, I took one dose Monday night and another dose Tuesday morning.  On Tuesday afternoon I started feeling nauseous and having diarrhea, I even had an accident in my pants once.  Early Wednesday morning I woke up and I was running a temp (I hadn't run one before) and had chills, feeling awful.  My husband took me to the ER at 2am Wednesday morning.  They tested me for the flu which was negative... gave me a steroid and an antibiotic shot and changed my script to Augmentin.  So I came home Wednesday and slept, didn't get my script filled until Thursday morning.  I had a normal BM on Wednesday and then had a couple of diarrhea BM's.  I took my first dose of Augmentin yesterday morning and had a couple of bouts of diarrhea.  Last night I was feeling a little better and ate some chicken strips, cole slaw and biscuits.  Then late last night I started with the diarrhea again which (sorry tmi), looked like cole slaw... I didn't take another dose of Augmentin.  Then this morning I had watery diarrhea about 6 times...no fever, no cramping...just an urgent need to go.  I went back to the ER today... and immediately the nurse started talking about C. Diff, saying she had it once and explaining what it was.  The doctor came in and said that she thought it was unlikely that it was C. Diff because I hadn't been on antibiotics too long, and that there is a nasty stomach bug going around, and it could also be a side effect from the antibiotics.... they took a stool sample (which will take at least until Monday to get the results).  That same nurse came in saying that it smelled "C. Diffy" to her (smelled like cole slaw to me) and continued to talk about it, freaking me out further.  It even said on my discharge papers that it was unlikely it was C. Diff and they would call if it was...but the nurse wouldn't stop talking about it.
So, the nurse came in to discharge me.  Gave me a script for an anti-diarrhea medicine, "It is okay to take now, but if it is C. Diff you can't take it".  Told me to stop the Augmentin and switched me to Bactrim.  Gave me a script for Flagyl, for if I test positive for C. Diff.  She told me to "hold on to it until the test result come back, or I could start taking it now".  She said they wouldn't call me unless it was C. Diff. 
I left there VERY confused.  I am terrified of having C. Diff.  The nurse thinks I do, the doctor thinks I don't.  That nurse really scared me!  I don't know much about C. Diff and I don't want to google it, so I came on here to see if anyone can help.  I am trying hard to fight the urge to google, I know it will just make things worse. 
 :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline christina10778

• A.K.A. "Noble Queen"
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out about C. Diff
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »
First: DO NOT GOOGLE!!!! EVER!
Fight the urge and don't put yourself through that.
You already know what will come from it.....

Second, I Googled it for you, since I never take antibiotics...even when they are prescribed to me...I knew my anxiety wouldn't kick in ;)

You will be fine....nothing crazy.
Just wait for your results and take it from there.
If you want to, for now, you can start helping by adding probiotics to your diet and drinking plenty of fluids.
That's what was suggested....
And once the doctor gets back to you....if you do have C. Diff....just take the Flagyl, as directed, and you will be perfect  :yes:
Flagyl is what cures it....in a sense.

Relax and stay calm  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share
My Health Anxiety Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8-5ZQ6ZyRtI4ccjpE_4QwQ/videos

1 Peter 5:7 - "casting all of your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you."

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:50:39 AM »
I agree with the above post. In my non-doctorate opinion, I agree with the docs. You haven't been on antibiotics too long, and diarrhea is a common side effect of ANY antibiotic because it wipes out all of the bacteria in your gut, including the good stuff. I agree with the probiotics. Also try adding activia yogurt to your diet, and see if that helps. Wait for the results, but even if it is C-Diff, it's no biggie. You take the flagyl and that's it! You're done! I assure you this is NOT something to stress over :-)

I hope you're feeling better soon! Keep us updated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline lawkcrabb

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
Thanks ladies... I am trying to stay calm.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Peaceplease

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »
Are you feeling better? This is one of my current fears right now as my stomach is all out of whack after some antibiotics as well..
Bookmark and Share

Offline ladylala

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
did you get your results on Monday?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: