Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Tonsil Cancer  (Read 166 times)

Offline GADawg87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tonsil Cancer
« on: February 07, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »
I'm so scared that I have tonsil cancer and my anxiety is keeping me from being able to focus on virtually anything. Back in October, I noticed  that one side of my throat was hurting and that I was having localized ear pain on that side. I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with acid reflux with irritation present in the throat from the acid reflux. I was placed on PPI's and the throat/ear pain largely went away. However, the pain has returned with a vengeance for about the past week and a half. I've examined my throat and noticed that the non affected tonsil was full of tonsil stones (and I got them out) and that the affected tonsil had a rather large tonsil stone (and I got it out). However, I also noticed that the affected tonsil was slightly swollen and has the appearance of what I best would describe as being fleshy meat. I also noticed that there is a white patch in the mouth that is located directly behind the affected tonsil. The other tonsil is not swollen at all, nor is there any whiteness around this tonsil. I've pretty much convinced myself that this is tonsil cancer, even though I would like to think that the symptoms would have continued instead of just stopping for around two months if it was something serious. I'm 26 years old, a non-smoker,and rarely drink alcohol.
Bookmark and Share

Online Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tonsil Cancer
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
Google is your worst enemy. How the heck did you even think of tonsil cancer? You have a tonsil problem, go to the ENT, and you will find you have smth in 99%+ case benign completely curable with some medicine.

Go to doctor but there is no point to worry about cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
You're right, the problem would have continued.  Cancer starts small and grows and grows...  it doesn't start suddenly, nor does it start and stop.  You may have a mucus retention cyst that infected the tonsil (how long ago were you to the doctor?  Was your tonsil swollen when you went?)  I had a mucus retention cyst from July to December.  It infected my tonsil in October.  (a quick Z-pack cleared up the infection.)
(I went through the tonsil cancer scare too, I was driving myself nuts.  I never went to a doctor until it got infected though, I just worried for 3 months, checking it daily) - so if the tonsil is red and fleshy it COULD be infected.
I too have acid reflux.
OR you could have a simple canker sore back there (the white patch) is it raised?  Mine was raised.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GADawg87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
You're right, the problem would have continued.  Cancer starts small and grows and grows...  it doesn't start suddenly, nor does it start and stop.  You may have a mucus retention cyst that infected the tonsil (how long ago were you to the doctor?  Was your tonsil swollen when you went?)  I had a mucus retention cyst from July to December.  It infected my tonsil in October.  (a quick Z-pack cleared up the infection.)
(I went through the tonsil cancer scare too, I was driving myself nuts.  I never went to a doctor until it got infected though, I just worried for 3 months, checking it daily) - so if the tonsil is red and fleshy it COULD be infected.
I too have acid reflux.
OR you could have a simple canker sore back there (the white patch) is it raised?  Mine was raised.

I'm not quite sure if my tonsil was swollen whenever I went to the doctor, but I do know that she said that my throat was "red and irritated" from acid reflux. The tonsil hasn't really hurt as bad today and only feels scratchy (not a super sharp pain) whenever I am swallowing food.  Just from looking at the white patch, it doesn't appear to be raised or a solid mass. I've inspected my neck and I have no masses nor have I found any blood in my saliva. I've had acid reflux for about five years, and the PPI's have really helped with the burning pain..but I continue to struggle from time to time with the regurgitation aspect of the disease. I wouldn't be super worried about the situation, but the white patch gives me cause for concern. I have to take a huge test at the end of February that basically governs whether or not I will be able to enter my profession that I went to school for seven years for, so this is coming at the absolute worst time.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
The other thing like I said could be a canker sore from acid irritation.  If that's the case it should be gone in a week or so.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: