Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin withdrawal  (Read 234 times)

Online Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Klonopin withdrawal
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:28:12 PM »
I've been taking 0.5mg of Klonopin daily for 2 months now.

Now I want to stop using it and I haven't taken it for 60 hours without any side effects.

My question is : should I take it tomorrow and continue taking it every 3 days i.e. for some time and then stop or is it okay to stop taking it if I feel fine after 72 hours since in my opinion if I haven't had any withdrawal side effects in 72 hours they probably won't happen?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin withdrawal
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
My question is : should I take it tomorrow and continue taking it every 3 days i.e. for some time and then stop or is it okay to stop taking it if I feel fine after 72 hours since in my opinion if I haven't had any withdrawal side effects in 72 hours they probably won't happen?

Klonopin (clonazepam) has a half-life of around 40 hours so you will still have about a third of the steady-state dose in your system therefore it is too early to know whether you will have withdrawal symptoms. As not everyone experiences withdrawal I'd wait to see if any symptoms develop. If they do then taking Klonopin should diminish them within an hour.

Weaning off benzodiazepine (and antidepressants) by extending the time between doses is not the best way of weaning off these meds because it often creates a roller-coaster effect as the drug drops in and out of the system which usually produces stronger reactions than cutting back the daily dose. If withdrawal does become an issue you would be better off cutting the dose in half for a couple of weeks and then trying to stop again. If this doesn't work then switching to diazepam (Valium) and weaning of it would be your best bet.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
Thanks.

I will try to stop completely now, and if it doesn't work, I'll cut my dose in half.

Thanks again!
Bookmark and Share

Online Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 07:25:22 AM »
Hello again.

It has been 6 days since I stopped taking Klonopin 0.5mg. I've been feeling more nervous and angrier for couple of hours after waking up, but other than that I am fine.

Is it safe to assume I am off Klonopin now?

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »
Is it safe to assume I am off Klonopin now?

It may be another 2 days before Klonopin is totally out of your system, but the amount in your bloodstream now is tiny, so effectively you are off it. The withdrawal symptoms are about as severe as they're going to get, and they should diminish over the next weeks or so.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 06:28:34 AM »
Thank you very much for your answer!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: