Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Melanoma  (Read 285 times)

Offline ans1723

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Melanoma
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »
Having a really hard time battling my anxiety right now. Last night my stomach started to itch a little bit so I scratched it and immediately felt a bump. I scratched it kind of hard, I might add. I looked and there was a tiny mole right where the itch was coming from. It is small...more like the size a of pen head, but it is raised. I have never noticed it before and I am really scared it is nodular melanoma. I have history of unsafe sun/uv exposure. I made a derm appt for next week but I am freaking out!!! What really freaks me out is how raised it is...feel like a bug bite, but it's definitely a mole. It's super dark too. Anyone out there experience something similar?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Melanoma
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »
Even though you haven't noticed it before it doesn't mean it wasn't there for a long time.

It's okay to get it checked but no need to worry really. Most likely it is nothing, and even melanoma is almost always curable.

Just try not to scratch it anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
My derm told me there are only a couple of skin conditions that are serious that pop up like that overnight.  Melanoma isn't one of them.

Could this be a skin tag starting? I'm older and I get those old lady pasted on things on my abdomen. I had one about half the size of an eraser pop up like that. It was itchy and light pink the first day but by day 3, it was identical to the other spots I have. 

I really doubt this is something to worry about but I'd be seeing my doc too.  Try not to google!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
Even though you haven't noticed it before it doesn't mean it wasn't there for a long time.

I think this is a very wise statement.  Also, hair follicles can get inflamed for random reasons, it could be related to that.  Just try to think about how you've been fine in the past, and this one will probably be fine too.  Find a distraction, too.  Anything is better than just dwelling on your appointment next week.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Tags: