Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: What are the chances...?  (Read 158 times)

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What are the chances...?
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »
To anyone who has any knowledge or experience with MRIs, I need some advice.

I had an MRI of my brain without contrast in the middle of November, so it has been almost three months. It came back normal. The machine used had a 1.5 Tesla magnet, which is not the strongest one (3 is). Also, the slice spacing of the images was "6", which seems large and as if it could miss a tumor, especially if it was small.

My question is, what are the chances of my MRI missing a small tumor? Can a tumor grow a significant amount in three months? If someone had an MRI done and began having symptoms a month later, would anything have shown up on the MRI?

I had a neurologist look at the paper copies of the scan and he said they're as normal as normal gets. I'm just worried because it was done without contrast, not with the strongest machine, and it was three months ago. Anyone have any idea how reliable my MRI results are?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline PrinceTuesday

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What are the chances...?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
If you had an undiagnosed brain tumor for three months you would be dead without treatment. I am 100 percent sure of this as I know multiple people who have had them. Also, you aren't just paying to see a  board certified NEUROLOGIST (these people are brain surgeons btw) just for the results, but his years of expertise in dealing with people who have these afflictions. Ten minutes of google is not equal to medical school and years of practicing. All of your symptoms can be chalked up to anxiety, I would know because I have also been convinced in the past that I had a brain tumor and MS, even after a clean MRI. Again, if your MRI missed a tumor three months ago, by this point if you hadn't gotten treatment you would be dead. I'm sorry to be blunt, but that is the truth. I understand this is a difficult one to get over, but move on! (I am obsessed with pancreatic cancer right now, I am 23)
Bookmark and Share

Offline PrinceTuesday

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »
And yes, if someone had an MRI done when they were asymptomatic (not sure why they would), a tumor would show up. Tumors start showing symptoms as they grow, so an MRI would show one before the onset of symptoms. My neuro said my brain looked perfect, and for two more months I was convinced I had MS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
He's right, even without dye it would show up. Not to mention, these are people that look at MRI's every single day. They know a good one from a bad one. The nurses or assistants performing the MRI often spot the anomalies and inform the doctor. I worried about the same thing when I had mine done, but MRI's do paint a pretty accurate picture. Trust their judgement and rest assured, if they don't see it, it's not there to be seen.

I asked my neurologist if he had looked closely at my imaging for anything life threatening, and he commented that the symptoms I'd be showing would make it obvious, even without imaging. I didn't press for details, I worry about enough lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »
You are gonna drive yourself crazy if you don't stop Googling. You, or someone else already posted the same question 2 weeks ago or smth. like that, and the answer is always going to be the same. You have MRI, it was clear. You can't have symptoms and tumor so small it goes undetected on MRI. You don't have brain tumor, period!

It would be the best for you to go to therapy and treat anxiety.

Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 01:00:12 PM »
Can a tumor grow a significant amount of time within three months? I worry because when I had the scan done, I wasn't 100% ok, but I didn't have these severe symptoms like now. I've developed palinopsia (trails off of moving objects and bad after images) which is only caused by brain tumors or problems, or certain drugs. (I only take Prozac) So I'm not sure why I would have these weird symptoms (uneven pupils at times, too) if there was nothing wrong with my brain. I just feel like the circumstances of my MRI are not reliable.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: