Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: UTI but not usual symptoms  (Read 186 times)

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
UTI but not usual symptoms
« on: February 07, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »
Yesterday I had to pee a LOT and often. The water in the toilet looked clear after I went.  I'd go and need to go a lot in about 10 minutes. I'd had a very salty dinner the night before and drank about 3/4 gallon of sweet tea.  Well, by supper time I had some pain above my pelvic bone but no other pain.

I went to the walk in clinic where my primary works and he did a dip stick test. He said there were a few white cells so he put me on Keflex and sent the urine out for a real test and culture.  The urine in the 'cup' was bright yellow.  I could only pee a small amount because I'd just gone at home.

Since I didn't have the pain usually associated with a UTI now I'm worried that this was a silent infection and I might have a more serious or kidney infection.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lashla

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: UTI but not usual symptoms
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »
This doesn't sound like anything to worry about....and I've had too many UTI's to count. Sounds like you just drank too much water.

If you are prone to UTI's, you should avoid too much sugar. Drink water instead of sweet tea. You could mix in a little unsweetened cranberry juice or Apple cider vinegar if you're worried about a UTI.

Oh, you would know if it was a kidney infection.....trust me! They are very hard to ignore. If you have back pain or start feeling feverish, go back to the doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
Thanks Lashla.  A friend of mine (she was 70) died last week. Last year she had e coli in her bladder with no symptoms. By time she was very ill, it had moved into her blood stream.  She died twice that year and was brought back. She was home for about 6 months before she began having some fainting spells and the doctor told her the e coli in her blood stream was never fully cleared and that would be what killed her.  Instead, she fainted, hit her head and had bleeding on the brain.....  She did have rectal prolapse (she said her rectum was never inside her body) after four surgeries for some colon problems she had as a younger woman.  I guess that had given her constant e coli exposure because of leakage?? 

Of course, that's made this extra scary to me.  I'm sure you're right. 

I don't feel ill. No fever. Did have a few back twinges (wrong area for kidneys) but I had to carry my dog in and out of the vet and hold her while they attempted to remove from gauze they accidentally glued on during surgery.  She's under 20 lbs but that was still a bit much AND with anxiety from listening to her screaming......  Doc finally just sprayed it with lidocaine and ripped it off.  I was traumatized. She was traumatized and my arms, legs, neck, shoulders, back....... all tight as could be from anxiety!

I had numerous UTI's as a young woman. For a while I was taking Macrodantin after sexual intercourse.  My husband has a malfunctioning bladder and has constant infections.  It took us 20 years to figure out he was infecting me because of that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SighNoMore

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »
Also a few WBC can be common. Sometimes the test shies that due to vaginal cells, not a clean catch, or other normal flora that live on the genitals.

I wouldn't worry at all which is easier said than done!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
Not all UTI's present with the same symptoms.   I had one right after I had my daughter and I had a fever and pain after I was finished urinating (pain in the bladder) and that was IT, my friend just had one and had some pain and blood in her urine (RED urine!  I don't mean blood picked up under a microscope) and frequent urination.   Neither of us had the usual burning urination or cloudy urine.  So there's the common symptoms and the uncommon ones and they can come in any amount and any variation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline colorlessideas

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »
Sometimes your urinary tract can get "irritated" (usually caused by what you eat) when there is no major problem.  Very common for me. My urologist suggests taking phenazopyridine (Azo) for a day or two to prevent frequent urination. It is fine to take short term if you follow recommended dosage. For me it is an out of sight out of mind thing. If I'm not constantly having to pee I'm not as likely to worry about a more serious problem.

D-Mannose is a good supplement that helps prevent both infections and irritation.

Sorry for what you're going through. I've been there!
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline Ihadcancer

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
Thanks everyone.  All day long I've imagined twinges of back pain or had twinges and my face has felt flushed but feels cool.

I did get some AZO just in case I started having pain during the night last night and took some before bed and again this morning.  Other than a headache (probably anxiety related) and the 2 second back 'pain' that is never in the same place, I feel fine. Still going a bit more than usual but drinking loads and loads of water to help flush it out.

Once before they told me I had a few white cells on dip stick but the actual test came back normal.

I hate worrying about everything!  Nothing can be 'simple' anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: