Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GERD or anxiety  (Read 509 times)

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
GERD or anxiety
« on: February 07, 2014, 05:38:00 AM »
About 15 years ago, I was doing low carb dieting and I started getting palpitations when I tried to sleep. First it was diagnosed as anxiety but a gastro doctor put me on nexium and the palpitations went away. I also stopped low carb dieting.

Recently I started getting very bad anxiety and the similar symptoms of 15 years ago have resurfaced. I usually take slippery elm and zantac for my GERD but they aren't doing anything. I just started a 14 day treatment of prilosec.

Has this happened to other people? Where GERD symptoms cause anxiety and make things worse?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hebes

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: GERD or anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:17:39 PM »
Hi Lara, it's interesting to read your post because I am testing the same theory:  That is, I started having palpitations at night when I never used to get them at night.  Even though I have a history of GERD (diagnosed with endoscopy - I never had heartburn!), I did not suspect this as a cause at first. Instead, I've been going through Brainspotting which is a subtype of EMDR.  Both are techniques to reprogram your brain relative to past traumas.  I am getting great results emotionally from Brainspotting, however, my palpitaions (true premature ventricular contractions) have not changed much thus far after 3 months of therapy.  Therefore, I am starting a course of Prilosec like you to see what role GERD is playing in my PVC's.  I guess I won't know for a while but in the meantime, my cardiologists has sent me to get tested for sleep apnea as this can be a cause as well.  I wonder if there is a strong relationship between all 3:  Sleep apnea - Anxiety - GERD??  I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: