Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Weird sharp pain in index finger  (Read 169 times)

Offline MmeMulot

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Weird sharp pain in index finger
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:07:32 AM »
For the past week or so, I've had this very odd pain in my right index finger. It's localized from just below the main knuckle, on the top inside, to about halfway to the bottom of the finger -- about a quarter of an inch. It doesn't hurt if I bend it, and I don't feel it most of the time. But if I bump it against something or put pressure on it, HOLY MOLY, does it hurt!!! Really sharp and intense. :sprachlos020: It's only that finger. There's no swelling or redness, and I can't remember hurting it in any way. I'm trying not to obsess about bone cancer. But it's just out of the blue and weird. I don't think it's arthritis, because it's not really on the joint, and I don't have pain in any other joint. Any thoughts about what it could be???
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weird sharp pain in index finger
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 05:16:48 AM »
At times the weather can make our joints hurt. Not sure if it cold or wet were you live. Could have even stubbed it as you slept. I would give it another week or so. See how it is. Not sure if you are due a visit to your doctor in the next few weeks. If you are, I would mention it. Just to see what is said. I think it was anything bad it would be more than just that one finger. It is easy to pick up strains as we sleep. We toss and turn a lot. I have done it myself in the past. Sudden pain one day. All I could think of was I must have done as I slept. Like yourself, I knew it didn't happen as I was awake. I would have remembered doing it. Just see how it is over the next week or so. When next you visit your doctor if it is still sore mention it to him.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 06:13:13 AM »
Have you tried taking some Advil?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 06:20:21 AM »
I don't think its bone cancer. Sounds like an overuse injury. Put your finger into some hot water for five minutes and see if that helps. As Cuch said if it's still hurting next time you see your doctor mention it.

The joint of my right pointer which is my "mouse" finger occasionally hurts. When I had PT for my knee, I had my doc add the finger. It was just joint pain from overuse. Soaking it in hot water and using this http://www.amazon.com/Digi-Flex-Hand-Exerciser-Green-Lb/dp/B00066FHWE really helped.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MmeMulot

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »
Thank you for the replies. It's just worrying. There's definitely a trigger point for the pain, just below the joint on the top of the finger. All around it, nothing when I put pressure, but when I put pressure on that one spot, about the diameter of a pencil eraser, it's like someone is stabbing me with a hot knife right there. But only when I press on it. Weird, right? I'm wondering if it's an inflamed tendon -- I had one of those in my foot a couple of years ago, but this is sharper. That was more diffuse, although there was also a particularly painful spot. But it's a bit to the right of the tendon I can see leading up the finger. It's just so unusual.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: