Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Please help, really scared tonight!!!!!!  (Read 187 times)

Offline Betterhealth

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please help, really scared tonight!!!!!!
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:03:44 AM »
Hello everyone,

So, big story short. For the past 2 days I have been wearing an event monitor. So tonight, after I recorded by itself at points I decided to call the company and ask them what it records. So they told me that it only records tachycardia, brachycardia, afib and pauses greater than 3 seconds a time.

I did not feel anything of that tonight, except the pauses. As soon as I realized that I got very scared. I searched online and they say that when that happens the only solution is a pacemaker. I am only 26 years old and I need a pacemaker?

They also told me that if the doctor had requested also something else, he could have added it in, but they cannot give me that info, trying to tell me that if it was something life threatening someone would have called me. They also advised me to call my cardio tomorrow if I want more info.

I am so scared and freaking out really bad, I can still not imagine that I might need a pacemaker at 26 years of age...

Any knowledge or advice would be greatly appreciated..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help, really scared tonight!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 05:25:09 AM »
I wouldn't take everything I read on the internet as true. You are wearing this thing and trying to hear it working by the sounds of what you wrote. Nothing saying the device was not working. You might just have gotten that idea in your head. My father used to be same. Everything they ever gave him to wear never worked in his eyes. That was just him though. It was working perfectly. He just thought he knew better. So just keep on wearing the thing until you have to bring it back. Let it do its job. The more you read the worse for you. The more you even know the worse for you. I wouldn't ask as many questions. It will only make your anxiety even worse. Let the experts do their jobs. There is nothing at all you can do right now at this moment in time. Try read something more positive instead of worrying yourself.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 05:47:12 AM »
The people you called are technicians, they are not allowed to diagnose or even tell you want you saw. Wait for your cardiologist. Don't read on the internet. It doesn't know what it's talking about.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 06:11:32 AM »
The "pauses" are most likely PVC's (premature ventricular contractions).  YOU feel a pause but actually 2 beats were close together and it takes a break before the 3'rd one - it is VERY common, it is NOT a heart problem and anxiety is the biggest cause of that.  You may feel the heart take a forceful beat after that pause, the pause may make you feel like the wind was knocked out of you mildly.  The PVC's can happen 2 times a minute or 2 times a day, it all depends.   After I had my daughter I was getting them 2 times a minute for 4 hours straight.  I wore a monitor and it did it - my doctor (who was one for being an alarmist and racing people in for all kinds of tests) said, "Cut back on caffeine"  (I don't really use that much, but he MEANT it was anxiety related) - First time I got them was in 1988, I'm still here, have a VERY good heart.
(I am assuming that an "event monitor" is the same as a Holter Monitor you wear to measure heart rate, beat, etc - I never heard it refereed to as an EVENT monitor, so maybe you are talking about something else)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billy33

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 06:20:56 AM »
I wore one of those things a few years ago during a panic attack and for about 48 hours after. It was awful. On the one I wore, the screen would light up every time it was recording. Everytime I moved the thing lit up. It didn't help my panic whatsoever, but it gave the Dr a good baseline to work from and proved to him that I was indeed experiencing the "pauses". I feel the same things you do. I've experienced the pauses my entire life and they are scary as hell. Chances are very good that at your age there is no need for a pacemaker. I've had all of the stress tests and ekg and sonograms. And all came back clear. All I walked out of the hospital with was a diagnosis of severe anxiety. Just try reminding yourself that you've felt the pauses before and that you're ok. It's hard to believe some times, but I'm living proof that it's true! Hopefully this helps some!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Betterhealth

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
First of all I want to thank you all for your responces. I really appreciate the help!

So, after a long day trying to figure out all the symptoms and why the device is recording, I finally found a lady at the doctor's office that told me that they did not record any pauses or anything like that last night...

So, I decided to call the cardionet company frustrated and what did they tell me this time? That the monitor does not only record those 4 conditions, but any change in the heart rythm. Which means that even if it was a PVC or PAC or anything in regards to the heart, it will record it. I am not sure if that lady knows what she is talking about, but that would at least make a lot more sence to me if that's the case.

I can say that I am relieved, but also frustrated that all those days that I am calling, no one explained anything like that to me....
Bookmark and Share

Tags: