Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: just a spiral- ok rabies experts...  (Read 155 times)

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
just a spiral- ok rabies experts...
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »
ok, so this is totally left over from my freak out thread today, i'm recovering from that so, please forgive me :)

my puppy will be `12 weeks old tomorrow. we got her from a breeder - picked her up 19 days ago, so almost 3 weeks.
she hasn't had her rabies shot yet, obviously, she's too young.  she weighs 14 pounds now, up from 10 pounds when we got her.

after today's episode, i'm sitting here thinking, what if she already has rabies? what if she got it at the breeders? what if she got bit by something rabid and the breeder didn't even know?   

so, if my puppy had rabies before i got her, she would not have survived this long, right? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
Re: just a spiral- ok rabies experts...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »
no responses yet? guess i was a little too needy today...sorry!
:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:57:12 PM »
Rabies is very rare among domesticated animals. I doubt a puppy from a breeder would carry it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 07:21:21 AM »
yeah lara she would only have gotten it if she were bit by a rabid animal.  i just keep wondering if she got bit by something without the breeder knowing, or maybe the breeder hid it(reputable breeder though), or maybe one of the other pups got bit, the breeder knew it but didn't worry about rabies, then that pup bit my pup while playing or something.  i know it's a longshot, but it's possible.  she bites me alot, as puppy playing and when i correct her with my hands, like move her from somewhere that she's not supposed to be, etc. she's drawn blood several times.

i'm trying to work this out. i don't want to disappoint my husband and get rid of her because of anxiety. so i just want to make sure that this is not a REAL threat, but is just my HA.  i want to find out the facts and make sure she doesn't have rabies. she's going to get vaccinated for it soon.  will that treat it if she does have it laying dormant in her right now? can it lay dormant in puppies?  i'm trying to do the right thing here. i'm terrifed
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 07:28:39 AM »
I have never, ever heard of a puppy getting rabies, especially from a breeder. Rabies is not something you see every day and - I don't know where you live - but is extremely rare in certain parts of the country. Also, I believe rabies presents itself pretty quickly. You would have one sick puppy on your hands if she were rabid.

My advice: dogs show us how to live in each moment and enjoy each moment, without worrying about "what ifs." Try and learn this lesson from your little pup! Maybe she was brought into your life for just this reason. :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
hi
i just spoke to my sister (finally) :)  she was a vet tech for 30 years so i trust her very  much. she also loves me and would not put me in danger, so that helps.

she gave me the facts.  i'm going to try to remember those and remember that my fears are irrational.

thanks for your support
Bookmark and Share

Tags: