Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: ok, i'm really freaking out now  (Read 319 times)

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
ok, i'm really freaking out now
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:28:23 PM »
i am freaking out now. my puppy had a "modified live vaccine" with Distemper,Parvo, Paraifluinza, Leptospirisis, and HEPATITIS~!

my dr told me that because of my neutropenia i should not let her get the live rabies vaccine, which i won't.
but the problem is that the puppy already had this "modified live" one with freaking hepatitis.  she bites me and draws blood sometimes(puppy teeth are sharp).

i'm so scared that i can't stop crying.  i left a message for my dr, but i'm afraid she will scare me more by telling me i shouldn't be around that. i'm doomed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vedabug54

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ok, i'm really freaking out now
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
Just relax. Wait for your doctor to call you back and see what they say. Try getting your mind off whats going on, play a computer game, read a book..
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »
i can't relax and i'm out of xanax.  i'm trying to stay busy, but most of my day is spent dealing with the new puppy and now it's esclated and i'm scared to touch her for fear that she'll nip me.

i'm trying to remember that people do not get hepatitis from their dog's vaccines, and if regular people don't get it then i'm only at a slightly elevated risk, not really that much of one. i just can't calm down.

i really need some reassurance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
Why do you think you are going to get something from your dog's vaccine?

Just to put some perspective on it... Just about EVERY dog has the same vaccine your dog had. ALL puppy's bite as part of playing. No one has ever caught anything from it.

It is a MODIFIED live virus - it has been modified to be completely safe for you and your puppy.

You won't catch anything from her :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »
thanks. i'm a little better. my dr called and said she thought it was fine. she even said it was ok for the puppy to get the next round of this same vaccine.
i trust her, but am still nervous because she would not say 100% that it was like any normal person getting their pup a vaccine, and you know how we read into things.

i just keep telling myself that if she thought it was dangerous, she would not have said it was ok for the dog to get the next round....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
I am reading your first post and can't even figure out what are you scared of... If I understand well you are scared that you got Hepatitis from your dog?
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »
i spiraled into a fear of that yes.
i was first afraid of the rabies vaccine that my puppy will need to get.  my dr said as long as it's not a live vaccine it would be fine.
that spiraled into the fear of the vaccine for lepto, parvo, flu, distemper & hepatitis that she already got that actually was a modified live vaccine. so i got really scared. i'm actually still very nervous about it although my dr told me she thought it would be fine and even said it was fine for her to get her next round of that same vaccine.

HA for me, anyway, is a snowball affect. i'm not sitting here thinking, well what if she already has rabies and we just don't know it yet. she is only 12 weeks old tomorrow. we've had her for 3 weeks. she is a fiesty, mean thing sometimes, so i'm wondering that now....this is how HA is for me, and frankly, it sux, as i am sure most of you know!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »
I am not sure that it is even possible to get Hepatitis from your dog. Never heard that someone was afraid to get it from their pet...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
Two weeks ago I was sure I was going to get something horrible because when I went to clean up pooh from my new puppy, it had dried and it smeared on my hand. She's had her shots the day before.  I called poison control.  I think they have my number on a big screen and put me on speaker phone so they can all laugh at my crazy fears. (JK)

The next week, she threw up the liquid ivermectin the vet gave her, all over my hand. I called poison control again. Yep.  Should just put it on speed dial!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MilSpouse

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 09:56:03 PM »
Enjoy your puppy! Studies have found that owning pets can have tremendous health benefits - puppies are a little more work, but they still offer the great benefits. Dogs can even do amazing things like detect cancer and notify diabetes patients of low blood sugar (or PTSD sufferers of oncoming panic attacks).

Autoimmune disease runs in my family (my mother and grandmother both have different forms, and I'm currently going though testing myself), and all of us own multiple dogs and cats! The benefits are SO worth it, I can't imagine living without them. If I start to get super anxious, one of my dogs will always come and just rest his head on my lap - it's very sweet and reassuring. The cat is not much comfort, but oh well :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »
You have a dog - one of the GREATEST stress relievers there is - dive into loving and playing with that dog and fully as you can and you can't imagine how much better your life will be.  Your fears are baseless
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »
thanks for your input everyone.  i'm still reeling from anxiety, and hope that the exposure therapy of having the puppy kicks in and dies down soon.

i'm past the scare of catching something from her vaccines now...(mostly). Now, i'm afraid she will get rabies somehow before she gets vaccinated for that. She can't get the vaccine for 4 more weeks! so until then, i'm going to be worrying that something rabid might ha ve bit her (even without us knowing maybe)and that she can pass that along to us with her puppy bites.   how do i rationalize this fear?
I'm trying to figure it out, bear with me.  let's say she gets bit by a baby rabid bat which is laying on the ground, we don't see it.  then she bites us with her puppy teeth!   if she has rabies, she would be pretty quickly sick, and probably die within 10 days(according to my sister who was a vet tech for 30 years). so, that would give us time to get the vaccine ourselves, right?

my husband is no help with this. the irrational thinking mind is hard to understand, so i'm hoping y'all can help me with this....
my sister is very helpful, so i will run this scenario past her too...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 08:35:50 AM »
Why do you have a pet when you are so anxious about it ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »
If your doctor thought their was an issue, you would have been told. Our dog when he was younger had a fight with a racoon and killed it.
We had to quarantine our dog for a period of time until he was deemed OK, in case he had rabies.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 08:39:07 AM »
hypo- believe me, i think i made a huge mistake. i thought i could handle it. i did it for my family who really wanted a dog for the past 10 years and i have been saying no. they wore me down asking and asking, and i caved in.  i'm trying to figure out how to deal with the anxiety of it instead of returning the puppy to the breeder. i am hoping it's an adjustment period and that the anxiety will lessen in time. i'm hoping the people on this forum can get me through this initial anxiety provoking period.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: