Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: hiw long does your symptoms last after panic attack?  (Read 804 times)

Offline alesha

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
hiw long does your symptoms last after panic attack?
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:49:40 AM »
Im curious what everybody feels after a panic attack and how long they feel it? How long does it take you to recover? I always feel on edge for a long time after panic. Sometimes it takes me days, then I feel fine until my next one hits. Wondering if this is typical.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Belinda

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: hiw long does your symptoms last after panic attack?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:06:50 PM »
I can be really anxious for days after a panic attack. Depending on what triggered my panic attack I can feel like I'm on the verge of having another one for days. If a have one of those out of the blue panic attacks I usually just get super tired after calming down, but the anxiety goes away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chino77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:52:24 AM »
if i have a really bad full blown about to call the ambulance panic attack....then i can be on edge and feeling awful for up to a week. i guess cuz its still fresh in my mind and im just waiting for it to happen again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »
Same here, I'll feel like I've been in a bar fight for two days after a bad attack. Panic and anxiety attacks are hard on you, both mentally and physically. The tension that usually comes with them pulls your muscles and nerves tight, most of the time without you realizing it. It's hard to relax when you don't even realize you're tense.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »
I have realized lately that I am tense most of the time and I dont even notice til im really paying attention. Tonight while I was driving I noticed it and I tried to relax and it felt so good. 5 minutes later I was completely tense again. Its just something my body does on its own i guess. I cant really control it unless im thinking of it all the time and even then, sometimes I cant relax my muscles.  I think im more used to being tense in a way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissSteele

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
I had a full-blown attack that lasted for several days and the effects of it lingered for a few weeks. It can take time for your body to get back to normal. I know I felt drained and exhausted for weeks afterwards, and I was terrified for days afterward. Everyone is different, but I've heard some people say it takes them several weeks to completely bounce back. If you are worried you aren't recovering properly, don't be. Your mind had an anxiety attack and your body went a little crazy because of it. It WILL take time  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline HayMichele28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:11:53 AM »
I always wondered if anyone else felt this way.  I get really bad chest pains when I have a panic attack.  Its like in my chest and up into my shoulder and my muscles will tense up so much and its really painful.  The pain can be there off and on all day for several days in a row.  When it eases up I can still feel the effects of the muscle tightening lingering there.  Its like I feel really sore for days after.  And just having the lingering of the sore muscles can easily make me think of my panic attack and send me into another one.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
Sounds very familiar HayMichele28. Often makes me think there has to be something else because my symptoms arent going away even after attacks.  But I have learnerd that you dont have to actually be having a panic attack to feel symptoms. I have heard people say symptoms can last for weeks. Its uncomfortable and discouraging at times but just try to stay positive and keep moving forward. Thats what im trying to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HayMichele28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 12:16:33 AM »
It makes me feel better to know someone can relate.  I have been having attacks for the last week.  Today was the first day I didn't have really strong pains.  However, my muscles are super sore.  Especially in my arms.  My arms have felt very weak and tired today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissSteele

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 02:14:12 AM »
Yes, I was the same way. My limbs felt weak and fatigued, which worried me. But, it's nothing to be afraid of. When you experience a panic attack or a string of anxiety symptoms, it take a (temporary) toll on your body. I know I had such a bad anxiety attack once, it lasted for days and my body felt like it had been hit by a Mac truck. I assure you this is normal for what you have been through. Your body is literally exhausted. It is coming off of a long, stressful road that is an anxiety attack. Obviously, you know anxiety attacks cannot kill you, but they will make you feel like you are dying. Like the "heart attack" feeling. Your body is just in recovery mode from it all. No worries!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 02:42:16 AM »
I've just started having panic attacks from my new medication. If I begin to go numb in the hands and face that will clear up as soon as my breathing slows, but takes at LEAST an hour to stop the trembling. If I'm having a more controlled attack I've had one go for over 2 hours and things gradually clear up. But there are a lot on here who've had it fer days.
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Offline LoveGun

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »
My first bout with panic/anxiety attacks lasted almost a month until I felt normal again. My most recent bout is still ongoing, different symptoms mess with your brain hard. I'm at a lil over a week with this one, good days and bad, slowly gaining control.

Peace

,Rob
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaula

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:02:32 AM »
I tend to feel tired and unwell for a day or so after my panic attacks...it's kind of like the feeling after being startled by something you didn't know was there. Afterwards I feel tired and sick and unwell...just really burned out. And tense. Oh, boy, tense. I never really realize how tense I am on a daily basis.
Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end. :)

I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee. :p

Offline d3vo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 04:51:12 PM »
I feel relieved after an attack like a drained feeling .as soon as I get out of the trigger situation I usually feel normal.I've was on an anxiety break for years but it came back in a massive attack which lasted like a whole 2 min and took me all day to recover .I put a wet towel over my face and laid down .strange treatment but it helped my destroyed nerves.I did some exposure therapy last night and triggered an attack it came and went in like a min it wasn't bad at all.well that's me gl and have a calm day
Bookmark and Share

Offline SanFranGiants

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
This last Panic Attack (about a week and a half ago) has kept me with severe anxiety for the entire week and a half.  I've been seeking therapy and medication, it seems to be helping.

But my symptoms have lasted for a week and a half and will probably go for a while long.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: