Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Bladder cancer fears? (or a UTI without symptoms?)  (Read 189 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Bladder cancer fears? (or a UTI without symptoms?)
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:50:37 AM »
Ok guys... here's another 'tale from hell'.

I went to an ultrasound to check on my ovaries because I was fearing some ovarian cancer (so just a regular Friday evening lol). Of course my ovaries look fine but the doctor noticed that my bladder lining was thickened at 8mm (instead of around 5mm) and my kidneys have very small stones (microlithiasis). I have to mention that at a similar US less than 3 months ago they didn't see anything. The doctor assumed I had a UTI (seemed convinced of it) and prescribed me antibiotics.

HOWEVER, I started to think that maybe I have bladder cancer instead and that's why the lining is thickened. And sure enough, good ol' googling confirmed that a thickening can be cancer as well. Besides I've read that usually UTIs have symptoms and I have no obvious symptoms of that, like painful urination and such. But I also read that bladder cancer is extremely rare in young women (I'm 28), less than 1 in 10,000 or something.

So I went to a urologist this week and he isn't very concerned - he took me off the antibiotics, sent me to have urine cultured and analysed this Friday but isn't very convinced I have a UTI either. When I asked him about cancer he seemed amused and doesn't believe that I may have that. He says it would look different on ultrasound and I would have other symptoms and I am way too young.

HOWEVER, over the weekend I started to notice a sort of whitish tissue-like thing in the toilet when I was passing urine. It looked like a piece of toilet paper really but it wasn't. It happened for 3 days in a row and started immediately after beginning to take antibiotics and I got really freaked! I thought my bladder was shedding its lining or something. BUT, it also crossed my mind that maybe it's from the vagina instead so I started to wipe BEFORE peeing and I haven't seen that whitish things again and it's been like 3 days.

And this morning, an online urologist that I'd written to last week replied that 'cancer is possible but not likely' and that ultrasound cannot distinguish between thickening due to cancer and thickening due to other cause (which is different than what my urologist told me) and this online doc's answer got me again FREAKED! My urologist told me that thickening due to cancer is focal, it's in ONE place, not dispersed all over the walls so there is a difference - and this makes sense to me! What do you think? Who would you believe?

This Friday I'm going to have my urine analysed but I'll probably get the results next week and I'm at the end of my wits. I would LOVE to hear what you think of this, even if you're no experts. Am I overreacting again?

Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bladder cancer fears? (or a UTI without symptoms?)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:28:16 AM »
You don't know that the online doc is even a doc. Iwould obviously trust the real guy.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:58:04 AM »
I would ABSOLUTELY trust YOUR doctor!   And what he says makes sense - cancer is a growth of cells that go wild, they don't disperse neatly over an entire area.  That's why you get tumors and bumps.   Your doctor saw you, knows your history, examined you and has a medical degree.    The online doctor knows nothing about you, nor you about him.  It could be some 15 year old teenage girl who bought a website and is playing doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:08:14 AM »
Thank you for the answers!

I have chosen to trust my actual doctor, the urologist I've been to. He doesn't know me very well (it's the first time I've been to a urologist ever), but at least I had a conversation with him, showed him my ultrasound results and discussed my symptoms and history. He also seemed like a knowledgeable person.

The online urologist was from the Allexperts.com website - any of you maybe clients of theirs? It's a website where verified doctors (verified by the website) answer medical questions for free. A hypochondriac's paradise in most cases but a few. Sometimes a doc will play it VERY safe and say things like 'everything is possible' which of course nobody wants (or needs) to hear.

I'm just always so tempted to believe that I have cancer instead of anything else. And the bad part - there are very few symptoms in the world that CANNOT be caused by cancer.

If you were me in this situation would you be very concerned about bladder cancer?
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »
OH!  I just posted "at you" in another thread, didn't realize you were the same person  :bigsmile:
Well I hope you saw my other post to you!  (on the "what meds are you on" thread)

No, I wouldn't be concerned about bladder cancer, one of the first symptoms of bladder cancer is bleeding.  My friend's husband had it (no, he didn't die, he was cured, that was in 2003 or so, he got it early)

And you have to realize this (I realize it intellectually, it's just putting it in practice MENTALLY that's hard) whatever will irritate a bladder (be it an infection, a stone, etc will act like cancer because cancer is an "irritation" too!  Like with a stomach, whether you have a virus, an infection, plain old nerves, food poisoning, cancer... ALL are stomach irritants and will react the same way basically because it's an irritation.  My mom's favorite saying is, "If you hear hoof beats don't think zebras, think horses!"  And once she told me (when getting really frustrated with my hypochondria) said, "You don't even think Zerbras, you think UNICORNS!"  - so you being upset about the thickened lining, you are hearing unicorns  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 05:41:40 AM »
OH!  I just posted "at you" in another thread, didn't realize you were the same person  :bigsmile:
Well I hope you saw my other post to you!  (on the "what meds are you on" thread)

No, I wouldn't be concerned about bladder cancer, one of the first symptoms of bladder cancer is bleeding.  My friend's husband had it (no, he didn't die, he was cured, that was in 2003 or so, he got it early)

And you have to realize this (I realize it intellectually, it's just putting it in practice MENTALLY that's hard) whatever will irritate a bladder (be it an infection, a stone, etc will act like cancer because cancer is an "irritation" too!  Like with a stomach, whether you have a virus, an infection, plain old nerves, food poisoning, cancer... ALL are stomach irritants and will react the same way basically because it's an irritation.  My mom's favorite saying is, "If you hear hoof beats don't think zebras, think horses!"  And once she told me (when getting really frustrated with my hypochondria) said, "You don't even think Zerbras, you think UNICORNS!"  - so you being upset about the thickened lining, you are hearing unicorns  :happy0151:

I've seen your other post, I replied to you there as well :)

I loved the horses/zebras/UNICORNS analogy haha, it's rather true. I rarely think about the most obvious, simplest explanations and jump to conclusions about the more unlikely ones. Thank you so much for giving me this example!

I went today and left my urine to the lab for analysis. Part of the results will be in today and the other part on Monday and I'll be able to check them online. I will TRY HARD not to look at the results until Monday, so I don't drive myself crazy over the weekend, in case something's off in there. I will also see my doctor again on Monday so I don't just sit with the results and fret over them too much. God I hope I'm strong enough not to check them online!

Oh and BTW in the urine for analysis I also got one of those white tissue-like floating things - it's good that it will get analysed I suppose. I showed it to the nurse there and she didn't seem impressed, I asked her if she saw anything like this before and she said yes. Then mumbled something about maybe them being vaginal discharge and then something about 'if they find modifications, they'll call me to give another sample if it isn't good' that I didn't really understand but hated the word 'MODIFICATIONS' lol (but maybe she didn't mean what I thought she meant, because it's a urine analysis, not a biopsy right?).

It will be a loooong weekend. *sigh*
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 05:58:48 AM »
If both docs don't think you have bladder cancer you probably don't.

A few year ago, I was doing my yearly blood/urine tests and my doc called to say "Didn't you notice you had a UTI?"

The white discharge can be anything, yeast from the antibiotics or you could be ovulating and it could be cervical mucus.

Yeast looks like cottage cheese and smells yeasty. Cervical mucus is white and stretchy.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:51:11 AM »
Hey, did you get a pregnancy test??   I was just thinking of my friend's daughter-in-law and she was getting that and was told by ANOTHER friend that that is vaginal mucus and common in pregnancy.   Just a thought. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 06:56:18 AM »
Hey, did you get a pregnancy test??   I was just thinking of my friend's daughter-in-law and she was getting that and was told by ANOTHER friend that that is vaginal mucus and common in pregnancy.   Just a thought.

Not yet, as I'm around 11-12 days after ovulation. It's still a bit early to test, but I will take one on Monday.
I've noticed this exact symptom reported on a lot of pregnancy forums indeed, but I've figured it's still to early for me to get it at 7-11 days of (possible) pregnancy.

Anyway, I WISH it would be that :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 07:26:34 AM »
If both docs don't think you have bladder cancer you probably don't.

A few year ago, I was doing my yearly blood/urine tests and my doc called to say "Didn't you notice you had a UTI?"

The white discharge can be anything, yeast from the antibiotics or you could be ovulating and it could be cervical mucus.

Yeast looks like cottage cheese and smells yeasty. Cervical mucus is white and stretchy.

So you had a UTI without symptoms? That sounds encouraging! (in that at least maybe it's that and not something worse lol) Most doctors and websites say that you cannot have a UTI without having symptoms but maybe that's not the whole truth. I figured you can have all sorts of infections without symptoms, why not a UTI? I'll find out soon.

The white discharge I'm worried that it might be the bladder lining shedding or something. It doesn't look like cottage cheese, it looks like a thin stretchy shred of almost transparent, whitish tissue. And it flows like a thin shreddy jellyfish or something.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: